1.7

Like many design professionals who have still not fully recovered from the economic recession, I continue to seek out any possible venues for finding business.Unfortunately, Thumbtack is not a very good source of quality clients.

Their premise is that they are 'matching' people who need work with professionals who provide it. I guess theoretically this is correct - but in practicality its not. My experiences with Thumbtack have been poor. I believe this is in large part because they have absolutely no understanding of how design professionals work.

They break potential jobs into monetary increments - at the low end from $ 3,000.00-5,000.00 with the top end as over $ 20,000. Unfortunately, as designers typically charge by the hour or as a percentage of purchases, this leaves very little available profit for any design professional. Additionally, most design work is customized to the needs of a project. Therefore.

pricing cannot be provided without very specific information about a project - very little of which is provided in their requests for quotes. Between Thumbtack's complete lack of understanding of how designers work and their complete negligence in properly qualifying potential clients - it ends up being a complete waste of time and money. On the few, two actually, occasions that I had face to face meetings with potential clients through Thumbtack - it was terrible. The first client, although pleasant, put me through the ringer with emails, a meeting, a full presentation, etc.

- hours of communication and follow-up.....to find a few weeks later, that they 'really didn't have the money to do their project'. Really ????? The second client did result in a small amount of consultation work, but he was disgusting - literally. A filthy, unkempt man - sweaty and smelly, who spend the better part of our meetings complaining about his health, his financial state, his broken down car, his landlord, etc.

and then kept calling me in grubby attempts to get me to do more work for him at no further charge. In addition to this, most potential clients expect free consultations and I even had one women yell at me for not being available for a free consultation at her convenience. Hardly, profitable - much less quality work or clients.

Thumbtack may be a good resource for workers and vendors - such as painters, plumbers or handy men - but they are definitely out of their league when it comes to promoting the services of real professionals.They lure you in - like on-line dating services, with that ethereal carrot at the end of a stick - but the truth is, it's all an illusion -they don't deliver - and it is at your expense.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss not as described of thumbtack leads and associated monetary loss in the amount of $500. Thumbtack needs to issue a full refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned thumbtack leads in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Thumbtack.

Had an Experience with Thumbtack?

Comments

TTsocial

You have provided us with a great amount of feedback and we genuinely appreciate it.You are completely right in the fact that we need to help better educate customers about services.

There are dozens of services out there, including design, that customers do not hire on a regular basis. Due to this, many don’t know what to expect when it comes to a realistic budget. We do have a team diligently working on this concern to derive a positive solution for everyone. For the mean time, professionals have the ability to choose who they are responding to, we encourage them to only respond to those that match their services perfectly.

We agree that it can be hard to quote the customer a price without getting a full scope of the project first.

What's more important is that you create a connection with the customer. Customers come to our site looking to hire someone for their project - they may not know all the information they need to give in order to help professionals give exact prices, but if a pro is personable and offers to meet up with them to talk about their options or talk over the phone, it goes a long way.

If you have an uncomfortable experience with a customer, we want to know about it.

We have a dedicated Market Place Integrity team that would be happy to investigate the situation to decide if that customer should remain on our site or not.

I’d love to speak with you more about your concerns and see what we can do to...

-Samantha