Charlotte, North Carolina

Update by user Sep 16, 2016

My niece was doing a fundraiser for cheerleading to help with some of the expenses of her cheer camp trip.

I wanted to help out in any way I could and so did the rest of the family.

We were very surprised and happy to see doing so wouldnt require us to spend anything out of pocket.

get 35 and half of the fees would be paid.

This is where i guess the saying if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is comes into play... We each gave our personal and business emails and have been regretting it ever since!

We have been getting a ton of Painting, Lawn Maintenance, Cleaning Service, and Floor Installation etc. estimates to that we have NEVER signed up for! We went in to hit cancel on some of these and tried to send a message letting them know we were not interested, but most didnt give that option...

(a few allowed us to select cancel) ...now i see here that these businesses pay to use this service and are bidding on my project when there was no job that ever existed to begin with. We contacted the coach and found that the email addresses were obtained and paid for by Thumbtack .com We had already came to that conclusion when we all received the same emails wanting to do work at our homes for $××× I've opted out of receiving these quotes But nothing has changed as of yet...

Original review posted by user Sep 16, 2016

I wanted to help out in any way I could and so did the rest of the family.

All we had to do was help her get 50 email addresses and everything would be covered, get 35 and half of the fees would be paid.

comes into play..

We each gave our personal and business emails and we have been getting a ton of Painting, Lawn Maintenance, Cleaning Service, and Floor Installation estimates that we have NEVER signed up for!

We went in to hit cancel on some of these and let them know we were not interested, but most didnt give that option...

I've opted out of receiving these quotes

But nothing has changed as of yet...

You should be ashamed taking advantage of children and ripping off small business owners!

Product or Service Mentioned: Thumbtack Leads.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Thumbtack Cons: Information being used, Without my permission, Company is deceitful, Taking advantage of people.

Comments

Hello I'm a residential contractor in charlotte and would love to talk with you more about this to see if I can verify wasting money on fake requests generated by thumbtack. It would explain why a lot of our costly quotes seem to be odd.

Please email me directly at hotbam37@gmail.com whenever you get a chance.

I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

-dan

Machele

Not sure why anyone would allow their children to participate in these fund-raising scams in the first place, but what did you expect they would want email addresses for, anyway? It is always best to 1.

never give strangers your real email address and 2. always have some "throwaway" email address to use for strangers, etc.

Gmail, Yahoo and others offer free email addresses and you can make up many to have on hand for scams like this. Now you know.

Mariajose
@Machele

We were told in the beginning that it was a project to see how people chose their email addresses based on their real names, ages and location they live.

i.e.

would someone select

bigdog.28215@yahoo

vs.

mike.g@aol.net and would they use this because 28215 was the zip code they reside in etc. What Lies! Total B/S! We were told the emails would be verified so using a fake was out...

I don't know guess I'm too trusting You're so right though we should have known better! How does this company get away with this?

Thumbtack Reviews