Fairfield, New Jersey
Resolved

I recently purchased a house in NJ. I used Thumbtack.com to find a hardwood floor refinisher.

I located a 11 times 5 star reviewed company called DLS flooring on Thumbtack’s website. Thumbtack says they’ve been background checked and vetted, licensed and insured. I found DLS Flooring at 110 East 177th street apt -1-F Bronx, NY 10453 (347) 928-5727.

I paid $1000 out of $1500 to Albert Ramos to refinish hardwood floors by buffing and 2 coats of polyurethane.

DLS Flooring owner Albert Ramos did one coat and the floor finishing has serious blotches, drips, etc. He swore up and down he would fix it and make it right. After his fix, it appears the same. In addition, he destroyed my hardwood floors by sanding off the stain under it.

The damage he caused will cost thousands to repair, because he buffed away the wood stain of the wood, and it needs to be resanded and stained.

I contacted Thumbtack on more than three occasions and the only thing they would do is to directed me to their resolution center. To this day, they allow DLS Flooring to do business on Thumbtack.com

Thumbtack has raised $273 million in venture funding from Google and Sequoia Capital. https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/thumbtack#/entity

In text exchanges, Albert Ramos of DLS says he’s not insured. I could not locate a license in NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

The company won’t refund the $1000 paid, or pay for damages.

Thumbtack.com’s business model does not work. Please protect yourself from Thumbtack nightmare!

Turnaround Time
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Damaged or defective / $4000
Preferred solution Full refund

Had an Experience with Thumbtack?

Comments

Lisa_NC

You are absolutely correct!

When I was working as a cleaning contractor in another state I found multiple other companies using this site that makeup a job that doesn't exist and write themselves 5 Star reviews whenever they receive a bad review from a real customer.

I have brought this to Thumbtack's attention and they have decided to look the other way!

I am POSITIVE this IS happening!

The reviews are posted on the same day that the requests come in + plus they are obviously fake and written by the owners!

Some examples are: A. getting a security deposit back for a cleaning that happened the same day that the request came in and this is not even likely until 30 days later, but definitely not the same day! B. hiring the company to come clean for Thanksgiving and Christmas when the requests was originally submitted 5 days after Christmas!

C. Reviews talking about the customer contacting the company, them sending someone out the following day and mentioning that the cleaning took place yesterday or a few days before when the review was written the same day or the day after the request was submitted etc... Thumbtacks "Team" that takes care of this, or "looks at" the reported fraudulent requests, apparently lives inside of a box, has no common sense or like I said they don't care! And look the other way!

They don't want to do anything about it because they make money off of every contractor that bids on these jobs...

They are knowingly taking advantage of people especially the professionals that give good customer service. It's all about money! How can other pros have 75 hired and 74 reviews or vice versa.? people don't take the time to write good reviews because they expect good service if it sounds too good to be true...

it most likely is and I suggest everyone read profiles completely (hires vs. # of reviews) before making a judgement call on who to hire based on reviews! Since living here, trying my luck again and using Thumbtack... The same thing is taking place!

Thumbtack= Scam Artists!all over the country...

Chester Township, New Jersey, United States #1207342

Never ever ever ever pay for any job until its done and you are satisfied.You probably not recover your money unless you sue him in small claims court which will end up costing you more money even if you represent yourself.

Sorry this happened to you and thumbtack is of not help. Lesson learned. I wonder what you can do about thumbtack recommending your scammer and lying about him being vetted and insured? you may try that route.

Seems to me they would have some liability in this.I had my floors done by Bates Flooring (I'm also in north Jersey) and they did a fantastic job so maybe try them (I think they owners name is Richard) Good luck