Martez M Lgw

Waste Of Money

Original review May 20, 2024

Leads come in and they charge you whether people respond to you or not. They charge you every time somebody simply posts that they need a service; you don't have to accept the lead or send them a message for them to charge you.

Without a single person responding to me, I owed $280 the next morning. Before I could even message a lead, three other pros had already done so.

Furthermore, I needed a review just to respond to leads, so I got a relative to do it for me, he said they called him the next day to see if the review was real (yeah, I know). I would rate it ZERO out of 100, but I didn't think I could give it a score lower than 1 star.

Preferred solution: Explain to me why they called my cousin to ask if the review was real. I would also like to see them go down as a company and sued for fake leads that don't even answer.

User's recommendation: Don't Do It

Class-Action Lawsuit.

For all you Pros out there who have been taken for a ride. I am filing a class-action lawsuit today with my attorney.

Whoever would like to join me please email me at copythatco@***.com. Let's sue the pants off of this scamming organization and try to save our small businesses everybody!!!! I have been working as an office equipment pro for almost 3 months now. At first business was incredible.

The money was rolling in and I moved into a larger office thinking this is my shot to the top. Not! Now I get service calls that are a hundred miles away or more. I am being played.

I also had to load a disposable card to keep them from billing me at will with no explanation. Now I have to sell off most of my copy machines and printers just to pay my business lease.

I have been a copier engineer for 27 years and have never been treated and scammed out of my money like this ever!! The time has come to take Thumbtack down people!!

Melaina Eak

i totally agree… i’m sure we’re still about 4-5 years before we get to see the lawsuit against thumbtack materialize cause of how much d**n money they have as a big corporation scamming people.. i had 250 5 star reviews on there i worked my but off to build my profile up and the more time moved on the less i used it because it turned into a horrendous waste of $, was the best thing in the advertising industry when they first started and leads were cheap as crap.. now they just rob people with these dumb weekly budgets and auto charges, this being said i still used it from time to time only being very picky and selective about my preferences for lead connections, but they recently emailed me and told me the background check was now becoming mandatory, and i have a completely insane misdemeanor on my record for child harm where my daughter got into something she wasn’t supposed to but that was NOT A HUGE DEAL, a total accident and impossible to be harmful to a child, but i was manipulated by the DSS and court system and they planted this charge on me because my in laws never liked me much and wanted to put a wedge between me and their daughter so they fed them lies and it was this huge ordeal family had to move out and back in, money wasted on lawyers, and i thoroughly explained this to thumbtack in a very detailed professional email and they still declined my petition and closed my account all that hard work and building the profile up just thrown in the trash, feel discriminated against, targeted, and worst of all scammed out of thousands…

Michael M Rya

How to contact you for the class action, There is an email, but they have hid it.. All I can read is COPYTHATCO@***.COM.

This site left out some letters ,.. please reply with proper contact info for class action Thank you Michael M

Guest

Their biggest scam is having you set "Targetting Preferences" and Pre-loading your account, so they automatically charge you if someone's request matches your services. I turned it off. Their other rip-off is their "Opportunity" tab.

How do we contact you ?

Dashun Avl

Not feeling like these leads are legit, after canceling our card on file and hiding my business from the app, we were still charged. These may be leads may be fraudulent and there must be a better way to secure the leads!

Mykell Pym

please include me in this Class Action lawsuit. ThumbTack is doing nothing but ripping off Pros!!!

Timothy Zif

Is this still happening?

reply icon Replying to comment of Timothy Zif

It does not appear to be, unfortunately. I started an alternative called Rhiz in response to this along with Yelp's issues (watch The Billion Dollar Bully if you haven't yet).

No fake leads, no review issues. It's about consumer-facing networking to get word of mouth online.

Sign up free at rhizmarket dot com and feel free to email me with questions. -former landscaper, Stuart

Andrew M Jzc

I agree

Guest

Ive been with thumbtack going on 6year now they need a backround check they took me off Thumbtack intill the back round gets done its been going on *** month they ober charged me on two leads what can i do they took alot of money from me on robot leads

View more comments (362)

Burn your money Instead of giving it to thumbtack

Burn your money Instead of giving it to thumbtack

I am a small business looking for some lead generation companies,. To increase our workload..

Now,. I must honestly say I don't really remember calling this place , but after they had my phone number,(which they may have gotten off the Internet).. MY PHONE WOULD NOT STOP RINGING. I was called so much, I finally answered to see what they had to offer,.

And it sounded ok, but I was not ready to sign with them , fast forward, I finally got tired of seeing their number ringing my phone. So I signed up with them, and they explained that I would be paying for leads as customers called for my services... The first job they send me, was for a service that we do not offer, but I was charged anyway,..I picked up the phone and TRIED to get in touch with my representative that said she, Amy Williams will be like my success coach at thumbtack. Well, she never answered a call, or text from me ever again,..

as I write this, I am still waiting for her to get back to me. I got a sporadic text on presidents day, from Amy telling me that she was busy in a meeting on friday, and usually works 10+hours a day at thumbtack, and if I need her help I can text her. So, I texted her 3 more times, with no reply from Amy. Later that day I got a text from someone on Amy's text,,saying that they are not Amy,but they were telling me that today is presidents day, and it is not legal for her to be calling me on a federal holiday.?!?!..

I knew that she has no clue what she is talking about. So I see that this was a scam. Iv gotten a few more "leads" in through their app, but this was for people shopping for prices for my service.. when I signed up, they said I will be the only service provider to get these leads(at a price ).

But they sell the same lead to 6 other people at the same price,.. so, instead of making $50 for a service lead,.. they make over $300 for the same lead that wont net the contractor $500,.. total scam.

What pissed me off the most is when I called, and, called, and called about the first charge, for services I did not offer,.. they said to call for a refund, but when you call for that refund, they end up telling me , the program you signed up for IS NON REFUNDABLE!!, they tell you in their pitch, that if there is a issue, you can call and get a refund on a specific charge you may have gotten in your acct. .. ive added a screenshot of an email from amy stating that if i need any help within the first 2 weeks,.

To teach out... Lol..

it's almost 2 weeks and I'm sure she is still at her meeting from the Friday BEFORE presidents day.. (btw, I'm still waiting)

Loss:
Cons:
  • No customer service just text that dont resolve anything
  • No help from customer service
  • Charging me for leads for services i do not offer

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Do not sign with THESE people, GIVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO CHARITY FIRST.

Guest

Avoid Thumbtack at all costs. Even if you have a ten foot pole.

Robin H Cij

Thumbtack - Image 2
Updated by user Apr 29, 2024

The person is holding the doors hostage for 350. He is going to have a looong wait.

Original review Apr 29, 2024
I hired a worker from Thumbtack to fix my lazy Susan doors. He took it to his shop to paint them.

There were two small holes to fill and maybe a half hours' worth of work. We gave him 100.00 as a deposit on a 350 bid. He would not return to finish the project. He kept making excuses.

Finally, his contract expired, and I fired the man. He has held the doors hostage since then demanding 350.00. I spoke to Thumbtack, who said I could pick up the doors for 50.00, This man called here ranting, raving, and screaming when he was fired. I'm an older woman, I am not going near that lunatic.

For 350 he'll bring back the doors, I'm not paying that amount. He took off with my doors which is theft. He was paid a deposit 100 to cover his time to paint and fill two small holes in the doors.

It seems to me that Thumbtack is condoning theft of personal property in this instance. Do NOT do business with them.
Loss:

Preferred solution: My doors back!

User's recommendation: Do not use thumbtack

Amanda P Tic

Cancelamento

Thumbtack - Cancelamento

I've already canceled and deleted your app, I'm not using it, I installed it to do a test, your service is rubbish! I never made any dollars!

And quite the opposite, I joined because I needed money and you guys were embarrassed with the little I had. You don't have any shame in robbing people, do you? I never made any clients and you robbed me several times!

stop charging me, I already deleted this rubbish app that doesn't bring any customers and still steals my money, this is the second time I've sent an email informing that I want to cancel, forget me! Tomorrow I'm going to go to the bank in person to resort to all these unauthorized transactions, you guys are thieves.

Loss:
Pros:
  • No hace pros customers dont exist they keep our cards
Cons:
  • Steal your card without you having any customers

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Never trash app danger! Fraud! No have clients no add you card never!

Kristina A Ewc

Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

Absolutely a scam for pros

Thumbtack - Absolutely a scam for pros
Thumbtack - Absolutely a scam for pros - Image 2

They let unlicensed people without liability insurance on their site. We have lost over 1000 to use their site.

They will not refund and deny its even when customers just stop responding. They allow false information as reviews and will not remove them, despite contacting them and telling them. We had a crazy lady named Maris leave a review lying about how many kids I had and a mental illness of ADHD which I have never been diagnosed because she was mad we walked out on the job after her calling us names and being insane. We run a cleaning company and not one mention on cleaning was talked about just other things that were not even true.

She wanted us to cook for her be a caretaker which is not our services and despite knowing this she still went nuts. We have used Thumbtack for over a few months and only received 3 leads that were real.

I believe Thumbtack makes up accounts to make pros pay and denies refunds. Below is a list of bogus charges with customers that never responded and are either fake or looking for a quote and will absolutely ghost you.

Loss:
Cons:
  • False leads
  • False quote
  • Theft

User's recommendation: Do not use

Kipp A
map-marker Oakboro, North Carolina

Received 100 + emails a day and I’m not even signed up with them as a pro

Thumbtack - Received 100 + emails a day and I’m not even signed up with them as a pro
I looked into thumbtack and gave them my email and I have not stopped getting them, over 100 per day and Im not even signed with them. No one from thumbtack ever reached out to me by phone to ask if I would like to know more information. The emails I get are if I worked with them but I have never sign on to become a pro for thembut Im inundated with hundreds of emails daily.

User's recommendation: I have no information

Becca L Ypt

NO CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES

I'm a pro and I was charged about $200 for an instant booking for a lead. Upon speaking with the lead, it's not a service we offer with our company.

I submitted a refund request for the lead and Thumbtack denied it. I have tried for several days to get in touch with a customer service representative and I'm pretty sure they don't have anyone work that department. I have sent an email to support@***.com and all it does is come back with an automatic reply that you can't respond to telling you to look online for articles. I look through those articles, and found a number to send a text.

You text the number, and it sends automated messages and tells you that it will find an agent for you and then it never does. I've done it several times and everytime they don't actually send you to an agent. Then on the website, it says you can chat with someone on there, and you click it and that button doesn't work lol. I have googled trying to find a customer service number.

You call any number associated with Thumbtack, and then you reach an automated system telling you to type in your phone number and then they will text you. They send you an automated text, and you respond to it and you get the same prompts as you did when you texted them before. They will again send you a text that they will have an agent get back with you and they don't. I've submitted allr equests during their business hours of Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Mountain Standard Time and no one gets back with you.

It seems they have these prompts to make it seem there's a way for an agent to help, but all it does is keep you busy and then you get frustrated and give up.

So just be prepared if you ever have an issue with your account or billing concerns or any questions, that you wont actually speak with a real person. (See the automated texts below and the email response I kept receiving.)

Loss:
Pros:
  • We get some good leads from thumbtack
Cons:
  • There is no customer service representatives to speak to

Carsons C

Theft l

Thumbtack - Theft l
I open account with this company and I vested a lot of money into it and just a very few days I was charged for leads that were not real I was instantly booked for $50 for something that wasn't even a real book where customer was not interested I've literally gotten one job out of the whole thing and the rest of it they literally have taken my money I've asked him refunds they refunded as a credit which doesn't help my credit card because they keep charging my credit card every time they want to send me a fake lead I'm super upset with this

User's recommendation: No recommendation

Irenr H

He really does not know what he was doing and he should go back to Russia and back to school

Thumbtack - He really does not know what he was doing and he should go back to Russia and back to...
You had a person that came and did my bathroom fan he. Didn't know what he was doing but he did take my $80.00 dollars I asked him to come and correct the problem he said no so this is my review not good
Loss:
Pros:
  • Make sure the people you put on your site are completely reliable

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don’t ever use this person he is just gussing how to do it

Leslie T Kxr

I need my money

I called to receive a refund for a pending prepaid credit package. My account has been deactivated and I am no longer using the account. They informed me that if you prepaid for leads by purchasing a credit package, the credit package isn't refundable. However, if you use that package to pay for a lead, and that lead qualifies for a refund, you'll get the cost of the lead refunded to your Thumbtack balance to use on future leads. I am no longer using this service and will not return. Why can't I receive my money back? I don't have $150.00 just to give away.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Cannot talk with a supervisor when requested

Eugene E Sag

Verified Reviewer

Thumbtack is providing fake leads

Original review May 21, 2024

Thumbtack is constantly charging me for fake leads where a customer never had intention of hiring a pro, or even puts in a fake number. I submit screenshots to their refund team proving this, but they constantly reject the evidence provided and continue to charge me.

These leads certainly fall outside of their policy and this consists of consumer fraud as well as deceptive business practices. I have filed several reports to the FTC and my state's attorney general.

Unfortunately, I still get some business from thumbtack so it is in my best interest to remain on the platform. However, I am writing this in hopes that those getting scammed will also filed reports to the FTC and State Attorney Generals.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: If you are scammed, screenshot the evidence and submit it to the FTC and your State Attorney General.

Robin H Cij

| map-marker Ellicott City, Maryland

Auctions and Marketplaces Expert Talks

How to Shop Online Safely | Online Shopping Tips

May 28, 2021

How safe is online shopping? Pissed Consumer interviewed Nathan Grant, a Senior Credit Industry Analyst with Credit Card Insider about safe online payments and how to avoid payment fraud. In this video, Nathan gives tips about online shopping, safety, and what to ensure when paying for products and services online.

Read full article
Nathan Grant
Nathan Grant

Nathan Grant, a Senior Credit Industry Analyst with Credit Card Insider. Nathan specializes in credit cards and online payments.

map-marker San Jose, California

Bad very poor customer specially for contractors. I am afraid to leave a credit card account open .many times subtract money for fake customers leads who never response messages at least .

Thumbtack - Bad very poor customer specially for contractors. I am afraid to leave a credit card...
Company taken away money automatically from my account for supposedly direct leads . Never happened customers leave just a telephone number but never response and never start any conversation zero . For me direct leads means a direct contact with customer who previously chose a candidate contractor and start a relationship. But any of this happened to me for 5 times at least . As a contractor all is this is considered fraud and the taken money never been reimbursed.

User's recommendation: Be careful In leaving your card open specially when is automatically paid

Laura A Fsw

Verified Buyer

Entrapment and willful fraud

Thumbtack - Entrapment and willful fraud
Thumbtack - Entrapment and willful fraud - Image 2

Fraudulent, fictitious leads. Sent me a lead (that I did not seek out, yet charged me $30 for) of a hysterical woman begging for help with a home that her ex husband trashed, was frantic and made me think she and her children were in harms way.

I messaged her back on the app and the phone number attached to her name that the platform provided. Hours after being left on read, I researched the email and phone number they supplied. The phone number suggested someone entirely different and the email simply does not exist. They have wiped my account clean after I demanded a refund.

The message is very cunning, telling me to text before I call the customer.

All the bots they have working for them must have given them their high reviews and ratings. I do not plan to allow this to go on without a full refund.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Intricately deceitful willful theft

Preferred solution: Justice and accountability.

User's recommendation: Steer clear of Thumbtack, Bark.com and Homeaglow and if you suspect you have been stolen ftom, pursue action.

Resolved
Jessica D Eyo

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: False advertising scamming mid leading clients

Thumbtack - False advertising scamming mid leading clients
Thumbtack - False advertising scamming mid leading clients - Image 2
Thumbtack - False advertising scamming mid leading clients - Image 3
Thumbtack - False advertising scamming mid leading clients - Image 4
Thumbtack - False advertising scamming mid leading clients - Image 5
Updated by user Dec 30, 2023

Code enforcement City commissioners animal Care and control internal revenue service.

Original review Dec 30, 2023
They are sick people They lie scame there clients When a dog comes with medication prescribed from a veterinarian it is not dispensed to the animal it's dispense to the garbage can there's no ventilation for the animals Only accepts cash sell or checks because it's an illegal business income is not reported to the IRS you can also look on Palm Beach county court records and see that they've been fine twice by animal control for no permit you can also contact Palm Beach county code enforcement animal Care and control and City commissioners
Pros:
  • I would never use or recommend
Cons:
  • All scamming liers all fraudulent

Preferred solution: Stop them from running an illegal business scamming customers false advertising

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article