We decided to use Thumbtack.com late last year to have some home improvements done. They sent us a contractor next city over who proceeded to sell us on their false bag of goods and ran off with our considerable 50 percent money.

ThumbTack did send this matter to their remediation company (Preconcile.com) who naturally agreed we were ripped off but then this contractor refused to honor this decision and merrily ran off as has ThumbTack,com.

Zero accountability! Several attempts to contact ThumbTack have been fruitless and their solution to hooking us up with a *** artist contractor who could not even handle the most basic contracting duties let alone install flooring or even properly paint our home has been to cut off this terrible contractor along with us!!

This reviewer shared experience about bad quality and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). The author is overall dissatisfied with Thumbtack. The most disappointing about thumbtack quote from Thumbtack was brush off , but reviewer liked idea of the company. Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Thumbtack.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Auctions and Marketplaces category for more informed decision or compare Thumbtack to other companies on our site.

Comments

I have just had the same thing happen. Contractor took deposit and closed up shop.

Shut off phone, email, and took down their website.

Thumbtack's response, in short, "sorry, we haven't been able to contact them either. You should start looking into my own external resources."Now, 5 months after my bathroom was supposed to be completed, I'm out my 40% deposit, and still have a 6ft vanity sitting in my living room!I am never using Thumbtack again and would recomment others the same.

#1121967

Thumbtack has never verified whether someone is a professional or not. That has been a huge complaint among actual professionals.

to Anonymous #1121979

The big question is....what does one do to combat this? The Texas State Department of Consumer Protection merely tells you "Not my JOB!!" Where do you turn???

Jim

Detroit, Michigan, United States #1119497

You should see the shady "contractors" they allow to use the site, it 's a joke! 8 out of 10 are not even licensed and insured, which is required in Michigan.

These "contractors" use pay as you go burner phones and fake email accounts to facilitate their dirty deeds. They quote low, just low enough to get in the door, then proceed to rip people off any way they can.

I have saved email interactions with Thumbtack "contractors" flat out lying to me in order to get there foot in the door. These "contractors" are ruthless!