I had been a Thumbtack "Pro" user/provider for some time, and after a change to their billing practices, found myself needing to dispute a bill I had received. When I went to their site, I was directed to a web-based portal for inputting details around billing disputes.

They wanted my name and email, along with the customer information for the item being disputed. After filling this form out, I found that it was in fact a poorly dressed up Google doc that was open and available to anyone looking, exposing both my info, and the the customer in question.

I sent Thumbtack an email and told them about the leak, at the same time copying the email to all the affected parties. Instead of receiving a response about my bill, (or any response at all other than a form letter they sent to everyone) I got a Cease and Desist letter from their attorneys telling me to stop using their platform and delete all info I may have gleaned from their website, for face further legal action!

What kind of company threatens it's own customers when they have a problem?

Product or Service Mentioned: Thumbtack Website.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Concept of website.

I didn't like: New updates, Bogus ads everday, Terrible customer service, Inability to verify job bids are real.

Comments

Burbank, California, United States #1258347

not going to post my "regular" email publicly, but I'm an IT consultant and my company specializes in information security. i'd love to speak with you more on this issue and get you in touch with some online rights organizations who could be extremely helpful for getting your money back.

email me at theskyisblueandgrassisgreen on gmail (assuming a full email will get flagged). i can provide more information privately