I am a home remodel contractor/handyman and have over 25 years on the trades. I moved to a new state and needed to find a way to get job leads and advertising so I chose Thumbtack. Now when I began, 3 years ago, you had to purchase credits and use a certain amount of credits to quote on a job. Well, the credits were like $1.67 per credit, or so. Not a bad price at all, even when you do the math, when a job may cost you 10 credits to bid on some jobs ( and they would vary greatly). Totally understandable and affordable. While Thumbtack would inform you, when starting, you may have to bid on approximately 10 jobs before you actually start getting any real jobs, so don't get discouraged. All this still sounds fine And it was working.

Flash forward 3 yrs later: Thumbtack has repeatedly made changes that have made it near impossible to keep track of the money they take from your account. Their prices to bid on a job have skyrocketed to the point of just not being feasible, let alone the scamming. YES, absolutely, without a doubt Scamming. Let me explain, I am on Thumbtack site at 3:30-4:00 in the morning, at times and i see a job that came in 4 minutes ago and already 6 pros got in touch with customer Now, this doesn't seem realistic and when bidding on these they go unanswered for a very long time, then you May get a response that the customer went a different route, if the customer tells you, you've got to pay for that info because Thumbtacks new way of charging is, you pay nothing unless the customer responds to you. The problem is, there was no job, but now you have to pay for that.

Another instance, again about 4am, I am answering an ad for some drywall work and same Instant I took my finger off The send button button I seemed to have gotten a computer generated message stating, "customer decided to go another route". Boom, Another charge. And one of the biggest problems is that my bank account gets constantly hit by Thumbtack at random times not allowing my to make sense or keep track of charges and/or which ones are being charged for and when.

Now, Thumbtacks jobs are approximately $20-$90 To bid on a single job I know I'm not alone which means, while some small businesses are suffering, someone is getting rich, At Our Expense! It's an Absolute mess and A SCAM.

Product or Service Mentioned: Thumbtack Leads.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments

VenomousSquirrel

I feel your pain and just submitted the same review. Any company that guarantees a refund but chooses to put it back in their own wallet, is not a refund.

I was getting charges hundreds of dollars a week for services that were not even through my company and still wil not be refunded. very poor company to work with and highly suggest other means of marketing as thumbtack wil not be around for much longer.