4.6K views

I have been using Thumbtack for about 3 months, have spent probably $ 300.00 in credits, and am starting to think the whole thing is a SCAM.

Sure, I have gotten a few legitimate customers, but I seriously doubt the authenticity of some of these "requests"...more like ginning-up contractors to spend their money quoting on non-existent work.

I personally have sent out quotes for $1 asking the customer to contact me about the job for a more detailed quote...and I get NOTHING...no response...no calls...no emails...NOTHING.

Sent out a quote to cut a lawn for $10 the other day...NO RESPONSE.

Contractors that use Thumbtack should have their credits refunded if they don't get hired...and contractors should also have a way to check these "jobs" for authenticity. Customers should have to provide a phone number so that the contractor has the option of a follow-up call...and also to check-up on the "reality" of the situation.

THIS. IS. A. FRAUDULENT. SCAM.

Product or Service Mentioned: Thumbtack Leads.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I didn't like: Unfair exploited prices to submit bids, Fraudulent customers and leads, No direct contact info after i purchase leed.

Comments

thewitness

I’m deleting my account. No good comes from this app.

I’m also placing a block in my debit card and filing a disputed against thumbtack for a refund.

What an inconvenience. Never never again.

Just flat out crooks...

LavishTibetan Mastiff502

My company signed on as a Thumbtack "Pro" last year. We were suspicious of some of the strangely worded leads that would come in at 3:00 AM, all supposedly from businesses located in a small residential town in our metropolitan area with less than 1% of the area's population.

My guess is that they were computer generated. A little research showed that the businesses were not existent.

We closed our Thumbtack account and have never regretted doing so. The one thing Thumbtack does very well is to drain small businesses of cash in a very short time.

I believe that Thumbtack putting out fake leads as well. I tested them and discovered that they are.

EVERYONE PLEASE CANCEL YOUE ACCOUNT!! IM WARNING YOU!

I am a Thimbtack PRO and couldn’t agree more that most of the promoted inquiries are computer generated SCAMS. I haven’t booked a single promoted post, been charged hundreds, and been ghosted by all promoted posts. Class Action is in the works.

They are worthless. Dollar for dollar use google ad words and you will get REAL leads...

Its a fact. It was good early on. Greed and stupidity took over and you get the garbage you see today. The system is totally rigged like a bad carnival game.

Fake b.s. leads, mixed in with a few good ones here and there. I do set aside a few dollars for the ones that seem legit and would be worth while.

99.999 of the time I just ignore and delete. Seems like most pros are catching on too when you see requests pop up That get no replys.

HelpCenter_PissedConsumer
On Behalf of Pissed Consumer Help Center
Let the company know when a Thumbtack customer asks you to:
  • Share unnecessary personal information (like your social security number or banking information).
  • Contact or forward money to an outside party.Wire funds via Western Union, Moneygram, or an other wire service.
  • Receive payment through or sign up for an unfamiliar payment service.
  • Pay more for your services so you can pay other professionals.
  • Read how to report fake requests on www.thumbtack.com

I dont get one lead the entire week. The next week I get one, I respond, someone responds back poof 17.00 I have to pay, they never respond back and I havent paid yet.

So I start getting tons of leads but I cant respond until I pay.

I pay and none of them ever respond back. I know its a scam and I am not spending another dime with them until they come up with some type of resolution for this issue

What they need is an FBI investigation from the top down

I agree with you totally. they should be reported to the attorney general.

I am the Top Pro for aquarium maintenance in South Florida and I totally agree with the person above. They're taking our hard earned money and profiting off of it.

If all the leads are real I have zero issue with it but so many people post requests and it goes absolutely nowhere.

My profile is head and shoulders above the competition and even though I still get some good real customers 60 to 70% I believe are false. Of course the prices for leads seem like they go up monthly now

ATTN Thumbtack EMPLOYEES!!! (((...PLEASE READ THIS...))) If you are an employee of THUMBTACK please make sure you are looking into the laws of complicity andextra careful in how you word things over the phone.

With all of the poor reviews of Thumbtack barreling in by the masses please make sure you are keeping a very good, credible and thorough alaby, travel and expense log that can be accounted for by an occasional witness.

This seems like a lot of work and that's only 1 small example of the measures an individual should go through just to make sure he/she is protected from a criminal type case where the Thumbtack employee could be accused of being complacent during an attempt to fraudulently dupe their own customers. Be super carefull selecting a radius and/or a route that best fits your whereabouts keep your radius manageable and traceable if the need ever arises...

to ProBilliardSvc #1600309

Yep, because it's just a matter of time before this catches up with THUMBTACK. WE USED TO GET FAIR PRICED LEADS AND NOW..PROS ARE BEING EXPLOITED. IF EMPLOYEES KNOW THIS AND CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THEM, THEN THEY ARE COMPLICIT IN THE SCAM!

I also feel scammed by Thumbtac, I have had some legitimate customers, however I feel I have experienced fake leads as well and unspecified charges, some charges for just passing on jobs.....in very dissapointed with the services they provide

I agree with this post.

I can confirm it's a scam, unfortunately. I had another photographer who was bidding on jobs (during the day, for a percentage of the booking), and she brought to my attention that she was seeing the very same jobs posting, but that I was being charged more, each and every time. We're in the same market, and have the same background.

TOTALLY FRAUDULENT COMPANY.

How do we get our money back?

to Jane Daniel #1556748

Pos company... FACT!

to Jane Daniel #1642921

We need ro file a class action lawsuit against thumbtack. If they arenfound to be guilty of fraud, we will be compensated fir lost money spent on leads...

I have been analyzing the leads that come over, and maybe 1 in 10 is an actual person. The thing is there is no review or historical value on the person bidding so anyone can create a quote and float it.

Out of curiosity, I created a fake account sent a fake response embedded that the person should not bid, just to see if there were any safeguards.

None. I think thumbtack is taking people for a ride.