NO CALLS MONEY WASTED!!!

I am in the entertainment business. So I decided to give thumbtack a try. So this is what I have come up with. I feel when you pay for a LEAD you actually need to get something for your money. The most important would be a phone # and e-mail. Which is never given!!!! In my field performers charge a variety of fees. I have a certain fee I am willing to go out for. There is never a budget that the client is willing to spend. (This would save everyone alot of time and money) I have spent a good amount of money and have never recieved a call. Not even an inquiry to discuss there event. I know how to fix the problem but thumbtack doesn't want to do anything about it. Its a waste of time. If they keep up these practices they will be out of business. The way they make money is from performers not the clients. I went to the other side to see what the client fills out. That's where the problem is. A lead is not a lead with out a phone #. Which should be mandatory!! What's funny is there is no place on the lead sheet to enclose a phone # or e-mail. I am currently with other companies that are real Professionals thumbtack is not. I have tried to explain to the staff. But they are not interested in doing anything. This company could make millions and is an easy fix. Its very frustrating. They've made it clear to me that no changes are being made!!!! So becasue of that I have ended my relationship with the company. If anyone has had a better experience with them I would like to here it.
New York, New York
Update by user May 17, 2014

I don't understand what it is you are all doing wrong or if it's because you really never give it your all because you weren't sure about the Thumbtack.com service to begin with and all ready had your mind made up that it wasn't good and have spent all of your time...

You're gonna get 1099'd son. And one day the irs is gonna look at ya and wonder how you make 15k in 6 months without a licence.

You should get a license. Your in arizona, son you could probably find a license in a Cracker Jack box or maybe at a garage sale.

Phoenix, Arizona
Thumbtack Customer Care

Leads received lead to no jobs; license not being posted

I signed up with thumbtack, recently. They have been charging me to send quotes to clients, but so far, no clients get back to me. Also, even though I am a licensed professional, they have been refusing to post my license on my profile. I have send them tons of e-mails and they don't resolve the issue. I keep spending money on them and have gotten 0 clients. I would have been better off with craiglist, which is cheaper and you actually get work. if they don't take care of my issue today, I will cancel my account. I will not recommend to any professional looking to get hired.

I had a very similar experience with ThumbTack, I am a photographer from Cleveland Ohio, I paid for numerous leads from weddings to headshots, not one lead contacted me. As a photographer I have had many experiences working with the public.

When someone is really serious about hiring a photographer they often times will communicate more than a few times to set cost, time & place. Not having anyone respond back is fishy. I spent close to $100 total for leads & a background check so I would appear to potential clients as legitimate.

Still no responses to medium to low quotes. I have years of experience & a well thought out & designed website yet no responses from potential "clients".I am done some research & found this is a very common experience that photographers have had using this website.

@PissedConsumer779207

Sorry that this happened to you. As a massage therapist, I was quite frustrated.

I had all these alleged leads and never got a job or even an answer from any clients. Additionally, I kept receiving the same clients' leads over and over again ?? And no responses. That's when I realized something was fishy like you said.

Anyway, they only took me for $18. I wasn't about to keep paying for these ghost leads. My advice to everyone?

Stay away! :eek

View more comments (1)
Phoenix, Arizona

Thumbtack Leeds ?

I'm tired of trying to reason and communicate with Thumbtack. Thumbtack gives the Leeds out to 5 Contractors. All the while controlling every aspect of communication with the client.They want you to pay first, before any communication and monitor any questions you might have for the client. If you pay for the lead, and the client looks at your question, like "Can I view your job in person before I quote"? Thumbtack won't allow that! They do not care, they are a Marketing outfit Once Thumbtack has your money, and the client looks at your question, but doesn't respond, Thumbtack keeps your money. Their guarantee to give you back your money if a client doesn't look at your question is a win win for them. as soon as the client looks at your question and doesn't respond, They (Thumbtack) keeps your money! If your a Professional Contractor you certainly can see right through this scam!!
#820225

They're a phony company. They need to get busted for what they're doing!

Again, Ditto to your posting. I went through the same B.S.

Earl

About Face Remodeling L.L.C.

View more comments (1)
Update by user Jun 19, 2013

The word they starred out is w-e-e-d. Not sure why they think that's a bad word.

I mean it in the sense of sorting out, not p-o-t. LOL :grin

Original review posted by user Jun 19, 2013
At this point I have to say that I would *not* recommend Thumbtack.com as a good way to generate work. To be sure, you will...

I have the same thought that they are creating false clients, I may ask a lawyer about what to do, they have in fact taken money from my account for false leads as well as used my name to create a false request for service which resulted in a charge to another persons business. When I first found thumbtack I was getting a few jobs and continued clients, but at times a request was bogus so I called and got them not to charge.

They now take your call and complaint but do nothing to help, plus they've raised their prices too much. They say I need to get a background check and said it's free, which isn't true, People should know any contractor is checked by the state before they get any type of trade license.

Thumbtack is cheaper to use than other lead sources but still too expensive especially trying to follow a fake lead then getting charged plus the time and etc. To sum it up it's a great business model for a crook and too many like it already exist.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Loss

Thumbtack is a complete RIPOFF!!

I have been paying for lead generation for about 8 months with thumbtack. The website sends you plenty of leads however the return on the leads is less than great! Out of 16 leads that I have paid for I have spoken to 1 person. 1 person hired me and 2 decided not to move forward and I was refunded 1 fee. If the consumers really knew what they were not getting for this service ....they don't get personal involvement, they cant really see the designers work. Working with a company or designer is a personal thing since we are so involved in a clients home. Thumbtack doesn't not support this and they have figured out a way to collect money from people with great reward for them and not much for the professional in return.

I'm an attorney who has been using Thumbtack for around six months. I couldn't be happier with the amount of leads I get.

Yes it would be nice to get more clients but I have probably at least 10 clients I am currently working with that came through Thumbtack including at least 2 of which are significant cases generating considerable fees. For the dollar spent, no other advertising or referral service comes close. I couldn't be happier.

My wife is also on Thumbtack as a pastry chef and has had a similar experience.

No self respecting photographer or other service provider pays for leads... Folks if you are looking for a pro, you will NOT find it via thumbtack....

Do you really want somebody that has placed themself between you and the provider on search engines, and the service provider has to pay for you lead? Google should be ashamed for allowing this.

As an attorney. I am always amazed how much people want to trust others and refuse to accept that there just are *** in the world who wake up each day trying to find a better way to cheat their fellow humans. I think all of us want to believe that most people are good. Frankly , most are. But with millions of people it doesn't take but a small percentage and you have a lot of bad apples.

Thumbtack I felt from the beginning (when I did a trial run with free credits), is a classic scam. Anyone who is actually an aware person and pays attention, rather than believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy leaving money under their pillow fora tooth, can discern the subtle nature of their plan. For example, did anyone notice that after you submit a few quotes, they suddenly have a surge in "leads." What I want to know if who is the clown who dreams up the names they use. He or she must have a book of babies' first names so that he can generate enough bull-*** leads to bilk the unaware and naive.

Further, what website that was totally legitimate would have prospective customers/clients ("leads" ) include such minimal amount of information about the services they seek; and apparently, then expect professionals service providers to actually send legitimate quotes.

The information that they provide for so-called "leads" looking for legal service would not allow any competent, ethical attorney to provide a rate, fee or "quote. How some lawyers are apparently submitting these quotes is beyond me. Same for persons in other businesses and professions.

I sent a few quotes to some "leads" writing something like: "Are you another B.S. lead that the losers at Thumbtack generate to bilk and cheat us providers, etc. etc?"

Another time I wrote in the quote (asking for more information): "I think that I will charge you zero and instead investigate the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit against Thumbtack and individually against their officers and key employees who obviously are committing a deceptive practice." Do you think I got any response from the so-called "leads" to whom I submitted these quotes; maybe asking "what the heck are you talking about... I am a legitimate person seeking an attorney?!!" Nope. Try it yourself. See what reply if any you get. Save you money! Use it for legitimate marketing efforts. This Thumbtack is another online predator trying to scam others. Research their history. I believe their founder was indicted some years ago.

Thumbtack is a scam and a lie. They code their webpages to come up in search engines with the title "The Top 32 general contractors in Cincinnati" or whatever the industry, city, and number of companies they list.

But anyone can fill out a profile with them, including bogus companies or ones operating illegally without a license. So how are they the "top" companies? Answer: They aren't, and it's a lie.

Thumbtack scams the consumer with their fraudulent website titles. Google should blacklist them.

Just wait until they get slapped with the class action lawsuit thats in the works...Gonna be fun !!! And I cannot wait until its filed.....

@PissedConsumer738937

tell us where, when & how...we'll be in that line....we imagine some geeks sitting at screens entertaining themselves with the corrupt practices of this company, but then again, it's likely this company pays its employ minimum wage

#820229
@PissedConsumer810762

They might pay them extra to write fake reviews here too!

Original Complainant - I stopped my service at thumbtack!!! Since then my business has taken off in other ways. Don't pay for thumbtack the response back is a joke!

I tend to agree with you thumbtack is total BS

@PissedConsumer681013

$85 for x-amount of leads, 5 times a month and to only have a closing rate of 1% is pathetic, I have been paying for this service for over a year now, my prices are below most other services and compared to Groupon prices... I cannot give our service away for free and I'm sure not in the business to continuously lose money - after my credits are done...

so am I! :(

View more comments (10)
San Diego, California
Loss
Thumbtack, Inc. Complaint Description:Thumbtack is an online lead generating company for contractors. They give very vague information when a potential customer requests a quote. You are charged to provide a quote to the customer via a message system on the website....

Reverbnation does the same thing as "thumbtack " false claims. No biz.

They are a scam organization that hires trolls to gang up on you and discredit you when you oppose them. It happened on facebook. They are evil! I paid 85.00 which i had never agreed too.

And if i had not stopped it they would keep charging account. Never got refunded! Thumbtack does the same thing. I only agreed to a 3 dollar fee!

Its the internet scam folks! Musicians dont bother using reverbnation.! Sound cloud is much more efficient...

and more popular. Reverbnation is now looking like a *** myspace page...who knows maybe it too is run by the same ego maniac.

Charlotte, North Carolina

3 leads with incomplete info and NO response from customers or thumbtack

Signed up for thumbtack and got 3 leads sent to me (from 10 profile Clicks.. actually a good average) None of the leads had any contact info or any real information about the services requested (other than "painting - exterior walls or trim") included with them. The first one I received at like 1 am, so I wrote back at 930 the next morning. The other 2 I contacted (through thier internal message service... and didn't hear back. I CANT GET ANY RESPONSE FROM THUMBTACK SUPPORT AT ALL!!! Here's how their service has played out for me.... 1. Receive 1-2 leads a week for $3-$16 2. Once you pay, you still get no contact info, no measurements, nothing. -but you do get to send a message inside a little box. 3. Your notified when the customer opens the message, at that point you can't get a refund according to their written policy. 4. customer NEVER RESPONDS, company doesn't either 5. Your out the money I wouldn't be pissed if I got to ACTUALLY GIVE A F'N QUOTE, or got to talk to a customer. Feel Like a Sucker!!!!

there is a site built to report these issues www.thumbtack.reviews. This company is heartbreaking

Thumbtack is SCAM. I own a carpet tile and upholstery cleaning business, and I kept getting leads on my phone without even being signed up with them.

So I decided to give thumbtack a shot. I bought 12 credits for 17.99 to reply to a potential tile cleaning job in Newport Beach. The request was very vague such as it didn't say type of tile and the square footage was listed as 500 to 1000 sq ft, which is a huge discrepancy in being able to accurately give an appropriate estimate. So I sent I need more info such as type of tile and exact sq ft.

I received a message back saying travertine. No sq ft. So I sent another message for sq ft. I received no response.

24 hours later still shows lead is still open for quotes. I noticed I was charged for requesting info twice. I then called thumbtack customer service and asked how they could charge me for more info if no quote was given. She said that is how it works.

She then told me that a quote was accepted by client. I said that's funny it doesn't show that to me. I then proceeded tell her that how can a quote be given and accepted without proper information. She had no answer.

I told her that thumbtack seems like a hinky organization and wanted a full refund of my $17.99.

I noticed they have taken my business off their service, however as of yet I have not received any refund. Moral of the story is that thumbtack leads are basically a fairytale and that this company preys upon the small business owner

Hi, please check thumbtackblacklist.wordpress.com for lists of clients likely to cause professionals grief.

This is how Thumbtack actually works. What you're experiencing is just the system.

You will never get responses from all the leads you get. We use Thumbtack regularly for our business. We get about 4-5 leads per day on average. I might get a response from one of those and actually get to talk to one customer out of about 6-7 leads and maybe one out of 15-20 turns into a sale.

It's just a numbers game because most people are kicking tires. You have to ask yourself if a job is worth paying for about 15-20 leads. It depends on the cost of the service you sell as to how much you're willing to pay to make a sale. For us, our jobs average about $2,000-$10,000 and it's definitely worth paying for 15 leads to get a job, maybe $200 or so.

I'd pay $200 all day to get a $2,000 job. A lot of Thumbtack technique is about the way you respond to a customer. It's also how polished your profile page is and the number of reviews your company has. You need to put on your best sales game and make it important for them to get a call.

I've changed my response technique several times and I've also gone in as a customer to see how it works from their POV to get a better understanding. They will respond if they're actually interested. Those that think every lead that comes in will turn into work are fooling themselves and don't understand how the system works.

You just need to calculate if the cost of sales on Thumbtack after you've made a few and see if it's right for your business. In our case, we've probably generated close to $100K in revenue through the system so it's definitely worth it to us.

Same here. I finally bid a job for $1 and still got no response.

What a joke!

What a ripoff. I have learned and I hope you do too.

I Agree this services needs to be avail-waited. I get leads for Power washing asap when it's 2 degrees there is 21 feet of snow on the ground.

Also yes the leads coming in at 1am or 3am in the Morning are very questionable. :cry :x :upset

I have had the same trouble with the site. No matter how low of a quote you send in, the consumer never calls and support doesn't care about this issue.

Definitely would not recommend this service to any Service Providers out there. Waste of Time and Money!!!!

I create websites and have spent $200 so far. ZERO is the result.

Some of the leads appear exciting. Then the lead cancels.

Time to reevaluate. Social Media advertising pays off much better.

Do not sign up for Thumbtack! I paid money to get be able to respond to quotes, not I can't access my account at all and no one responds at customer service or "support".

It is making my company look bad, as if I am ignoring quotes despite the fact I PAID to be able to do so!! Total scam & rip off.

I feel like an *** for signing up with these numbnuts, too. To give a quote, you have to have info, especially in a design capacity, but any other such thing, fence building, patio pouring.

Don't you have to SEE what you're going to be doing before you bid on it? Wouldn't you get yourself entangled in al sorts of liabilities? I was called out by a commercial property who wanted to extend a ramshackle shack in back of their place of business in Beverly Hills. I could tell they wanted cheap and hungry - in order to avoid a permit i.e.

they would choose someone who didn't know a permit was needed. One always spins the wheel of chance on bids, but the one bid I got wasn't worth my gas.

Thumbtack is very tacky…..

View more comments (37)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Loss

ThumbTack tricked my niece into providing my personal email account

My niece is in sports. She was REQUIRED to supply a certain number of email accounts as part of some fund-raising program. My sister, not recognizing what was going to happen, gave them mine. OH F*. The SPAM has already begun. I am pissed, pissed, pissed. Thumbtack are pigs. I'm calling her school to complain, too! I would have been HAPPY to make a cash donation to her sports program. They didn't even give me a chance. F* Of course, I've unsubcribed, but undoubtedly, they will sell my email address. F*! F*! F*! F*! F*! F*!

You Sir, are an ***.

#820240
@PissedConsumer535917

And you thumbtack representative, quit writing fake reviews and quit scamming people!

@PissedConsumer820240

You do realize your review makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, right?

View more comments (2)
Northeast Harbor, Maine
Thumbtack Personal Trainer

A lead generating service for a fee - no info.

I list with thumbtack.com as a remodeling contractor. No charge to list. They notify me with first name and last initial , town or community, and the type of work to be done. Usually small jobs , sometimes too far away and some I just do not perform. Then to contact that " customer" I agree to pay a fee maybe $8- 20 or more. I post email through them initially , then I expect to get full name , ,phone # , or email so I can have direct communication with the " customer" , fully understand what needs to be done - what materials are needed, etc. Now the " customer " can request to be anonymous, no full name, no address, no nothing. I get stuck for a fee.. Now who is really the customer? It' s me *** it. Thumbtack has a form to submit a bid or even to send invoice -- without even seeing the job ! The company obviously isn't in the construction business - every job is different, every customer has input on the scale, quality, and schedule I wish my job was so simple as point ,click , bill , Pay Pal. Boom I'm done. Its just as well - Service Magic has also made my money disappear - So now its time for me to disappear from their sucker lists . I would prefer one call than 100 " internet customers".

Wake up Contractors. Service Magic changed their name.

They are now Home Advisers!

These Lead Generation Outfits including Thumbtack are a Rip-Off, PERIOD!

You don't know it, but your playing the shell game with them,and don't even know it!

Before you know it, you have given one or more of them,$1,500-$2,000. How many jobs do you have to do,to recoup that $$$$?

If your a Contractor, who believes in doing Quality work,for a reasonable price, work will follow you!

My recommendation is, when you finish a project, "Leave your clients Happy"!

Even if you don't make the profit you wanted. Word of mouth, is powerful!

Contractors and all of us need to stop using all of these lead generators there are a lot of them and they are making money off all of us for people just surfing the internet. We are the {{Redacted}}!

#1191541

Guys come on thumbtack and service magic, or home advisors are a rip off, use pro referred by home Depot I don't pay a dime for great leads

Well, you have read the complaints. Wake up!

5 Contractors bidding against each other, and Thumbtack taking money from all of them. Just, hopefully getting a chance to contact a owner, renter etc. Then the prospective client, just reading about your Company, and not contacting you, you lose your $$$$.

So, Thumbtack collects $60+ dollars and 4 of the 5 Contractors, are left out in the cold, never being able to communicate with the prospective client. Most of the people, going through Thumbtack, are looking for the lowest quote, without Contractors viewing the project in person.

Does this Professional to you? Doesn't to me!

Thumbtack has increased their devious ways, of getting your money, without, giving up much info, about the prospective clients. Now, you have to pay, just to request, a meeting, a job walk, to determine, how much to quote.

If the client does not respond, to your request, Thumbtack.

Looks at that as a quote, and you lose your money. Without ever being able to have any contact, with the prospective client.

They then get money from 5 Contractors.

Not only that, they mix Licensed Professionals, with non Licensed anybody!

@PissedConsumer969290

You use way too many commas.

Glad to read the forbes article about google building a lead generation site and doing exactly what thumbtack is (or in the near future was) doing.

The arrogance of thumbtack and stupidity of not reacting to peoples complaints opened up the door for a better company to do it right.

Here's the thing about TT. Just like eBay, or any other bidding online service, it is always a *** shoot.

TT is the messenger, 3rd party facilitator...whatever you want to call them. Keep in mind one important detail. The clients looking for the work think they can penny down any and all that decide to make the investment. It isn't always TT's fault.

Now, granted, I don't claim to know their inside business practices, but being a freelance designer for 5 years now, the client thinks of you as the consummate professional at a bargain basement price and they conduct their correspondence with TT, and you, as such. Those looking for freelance anything seem to think that the proverbial "easy button" really exists and you are just some chump that has the power to click it. Case in point: I was contacted by an auto mechanic shop that does everything from oil changes to full frame to finish custom auto work. He wanted a web site with all the buttons and whistles (tracking work, online scheduling, eCommerce transactions, blog, social media integration, etc)...essentially, he wanted an online hot rod.

Here's the kicker. I asked him about his budget (keep in mind the dude drives a completely customized Benz that sports rims that were purchased for the price of a decent used car...and that's just the rims!). He rattles off $100! Can you imagine?!!

I then flipped the tables on him. I asked him what it would take to completely restore my 69 Camaro from frame to finish. He spouts some crazy number and I just laughed at him! Moral of the story: Most that post to these sites are looking for a chump, just like this *** expected me to be his chump.

The thing is, they will find that chump who is desperate for work or the online cred. And...as most people are completely obtuse, they will blow you off with little more than the click of a mouse. You will probably never hear from them again and it will seem as though your investment was a complete waste. Shooting the messenger is always the easiest form of venting.

You want restitution and realistically, you should be vindicated. But, real world, people are cheap, they suck, and they are inherently selfish. I have invested around $30 into TT to which I flipped for $500 on a logo design job. It can be done, but you have to be just as ruthless, yet carry your magnitude in a non assuming and professional manner.

In other words, you have to be the salesman. TT gives you ample opportunities to sell yourself with an extremely broad canvas to highlight your abilities, who you are, and what you can offer that others can't. If you invest in TT and you get slighted, all I can say is this...welcome to the freelance world! It's brutal out here!

One day it can be the most rewarding venture you ever enlisted, and the next it can make you hate all that is humanity! I have been in contact with TT on numerous occasions and what I can tell you is this...they have been extremely fast on responses and very giving in their incentives. There are a lot of online services just like this claiming the same thing. TT is the most discreet in the job offers I receive.

I get anywhere from 20-30 a day from other sites (very leery of these..I mean, really?). TT offers one to two a week. This tells me one thing...they aren't after your hollow bid.

Think about it...one to two a week at $10-$18 a pop...that isn't much in terms of ROI. If it's a scam, they don't plan to do much other than break even.

Well, it's about time that people are waking up to the Thumbtack scams. How long is it going to take, for logical thinking to click in?

It's a Shell Game! Professional clients are not interested in finding Non- Professional skilled Contractors to do their projects. Thumbtack caters to NON-LICENSED- NON BONDED handyman and their prospective clients. If your a Professional Licensed, Bonded, Insured Contractor, do you think, you have a snowball chance in ***, of landing that Project, bidding against Non Professional people, that can undercut you by 30-40% on quotes?

Wake UP!

I have brought this up to Thumbtack on several occasions. They have responded with, "We are working on it"!

For the last 4 years, they have been working on it!

Why am I getting these notices "This is a notification that someone just posted a comment to the review

A lead generating service for a fee - no info.

on Pissed Consumer." but in fact there are no new notices. I must have received about 10 of these recently and you can see that the last posting was 3 days ago. There hasn't been more than 4 new posting this year.

Please do not keep sending me these notices.

View more comments (85)
ID
#319389 Review #319389 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Duluth, Georgia