Thumbtack Reviews

Show reviews that mention
money service job customer business people leads account customers quote
Filter review
I know they have false leads called one that included a number and the lady was clueless. The rate I was quoting for photography was to good with my experience not to book or at least get an inquiry. I just hate they are taking advantage of free-lancers. I wonder if...

Do you have any competitors? I was spending $100 a day on google pay per click ads and getting no calls.

People say google clicks on your ads. I found out that my old boss who was still mad I left after he denied me a deserved raise for 3 straight years was spending the day clicking on my ads. A friend who still worked there saw him doing it and he said he was just "checking up on us". Problem is my buddy knew what the PPC ads were because his mom owns a business, and told us.

I also got shopped by a competitor that booked a "free inspection" 3 times and blew me off every time. Turns out I outbid him for a job (didn't even know it) and this was retaliation.

Basically, every lead and advert service I ever used has dead ends. False leads aren't necessarily the fault of thumbtack. I get fake names to my websites "quick quote form".

I had a customer book and say they lived in another town and had another name. They claimed to live in a less wealthy town to see if my quote would change. "since I live in this affluent town I get highballed all the time" SOme people like their privacy and are reticent to just send out their info online.

As far as thumbtack, I just signed up.

I got 2 leads, quoted 1, and she called. She has to talk it over with hubby tonight, but I also facebooked her due to an unusual name, and she indeed was who and where she said.

My friend who is a wedding DJ says this is a "scam" He never gets calls back. He also has a very self styled website that is colorful and full of flair. Many people want tradition and off-white.

He is also very expensive. His "10% discount" he thinks that should automatically get him calls, is 4 times what his competitors charge. He is worth it, as he is a real pro. However, thumbtack users are looking for a bargain, and any kid with a laptop or in your case a DSLR, can "claim" to be a professional, despite actually being so.

It is up to the client to sort that out, and unfortunately many times price dictates all. I am lucky to be in a very controlled industry with certain licences.  The supplies are rgulated, and can't be bought at home depot or best buy.  I would feel bad for real general contractors who have to compete on thumbtack.

Louisville, Kentucky

ThumbTack Crazy fee structure

ThumbTack Crazy fee structure
I have been a member (Photographer) on Thumb Tack for a few months. My first lead cost me two credits (not bad) to bid. I didn't get the job and was refunded. The second lead would cost me 4 credits for the same type of gig as the first...what? I didn't get that one either, but was refunded. Now on the third similar lead, it would cost me "7 CREDITS" WTF! I am cancelling my account as soon as I finish this review. Don't waste your time and money with this company. You are better off taking your business elsewhere.

Sounds like you're a *** professional. I've had great success, partially because I actually understand how it works.

I've book 32 shoots in the past 8 months using Thumbtack alone, and the "yelp" type atmosphere and reviews are awesome.

Quit being a baby.

How did you go about getting a refund?

@PissedConsumer946624

If the quote is never viewed within 48 hours, your credits are refunded. If someone should decide to read the quote and book you after the refund, you get a freebie -- at least as of this morning. Things change pretty fast with these folks.

Yeah, come to Mars and take your business here.

Thumbtack claims to be great for local businesses to rebuild after they have moved,, why do they send business that is not local to you then?? SCAM!

@PissedConsumer805219

I think they deserve due process first before you calling them "SCAM".

D'you agree, MC?

#820167
@PissedConsumer816868

I offer housecleaning services and I get leads and am currently helping two families. The costumer support is really fast with answering back.

So far. So good.

View more comments (6)
Rancho Mirage, California
Loss

Bogus leads, they care nothing about the contractors

Thumbtack sucks. People put in a request for a job. They get 3 or more contractors who contact the customer vie email within Thumbtack. 99% of the customers do not provide a phone number nor any other way of contacting them except via Thumbtack. I was with Thumbtack for a long time. I gave them a fair shot. Out of all the customers I responded to, many times being the first contractor to respond, and despite having a 5 star rating, I would say that less than 10% responded to my contact. Even after 3 or 4 times of contacting people, they still didn't respond. Out of the ones who did respond, I'd say maybe - MAYBE I got 1 or 2 jobs, small jobs. Not worth the money. Avoid them. A lot of contractors complain. Customers don't respond. People leave fraudulent feedback from outside of Thumbtack and from within Thumbtack - people who were never hired by a contractor that is. There's a lot of problems with them. You'd be a lot better off advertising locally or finding some other way. There's dozens of lead chaser companies that are better and more dependable with legitimate leads. With Thumbtack, you have no way of knowing if the leads are legitimate. Thumbtack could be posting jobs to get your money, which might explain why most prospects you reply to - even if you're the first contractor to reply and even if you have a 5 star rating, they don't ever reply. Another BIG PROBLEM is that you're at the mercy of the customer. There is NO WAY to contact the customer by phone 99% of the time because they don't provide their phone numbers. That's another reason to believe Thumbtack is providing leads that they post themselves. The bottom line: I think Thumbtack is shady, and I suspect them of being full of crap. They're not worthy of your money. That's my opinion from my own experiences with them for over a year. http://www.maxpowermarketing.com/thumbtack-new-way-to-get-leads/?doing_wp_cron=139438****.848411****214355****50 http://www.visualpeople.com/blog/does-thumbtack-work-for-getting-new-leads http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/507294-might-worth-being-careful-thumbtack-com.html

I used thumbtack for about 6 months.

I believe it is a complete waste of time.

I landed a few jobs off there. People answer my request just quit responding after. I believe it's robots or a scam by thumbtack. People don't even give you the chance to look at Thier job.

I'm doing great by word of mouth and social media. Thumbs down for thumbtack from a licensed contractor.

I have to agree with you. Better off at a casino then gambling with thumbtack!

#1201154

We got a contractor from thumbtack and he was a pathological liar and did the worst work I have ever seen in my life

I told my son who does home improvements about thumbtac. He registered on the site an started getting leads.

He is very pleased with the company and has gotten many jobs. True some are small but he did them .

He has now built a very good business and his client call him back for additional work and recommend him to friends and relatives. Thank God for thumbtac.

I am having the same issue with thumbtack. I am in the house cleaning service so,I

give you one better, I decided to drop my bids down to $50 on all and still no responses.

To top it off out of the few who contacted me through thumbtack had set up an appointment for cleaning but when it was time to provide me with their contact information and place of residence never heard back from them. I believe it to be a scam and lost $300 in the process

I am getting the feeling same as you+ a scam, ripoff , just joined, got 3 leads right away and they wanted $34.95 each to submit a quote and was not even enough info to feel safe with customer, no answer from customer service. I don't mind paying for a lead ( that's fair)and then when work is done give them a percentage ( that's fair too ) but not before client accepts my service and I perform that service for them.

I would have to price myself out of my market to bid because of their cut. I could be walking into a unsafe home and as a professional business woman, I feel too vulnerable without meeting their pets and client.

View more comments (5)
Thumbtack Customer Care
Loss

Paid money for what I assume are fake leads

I had a lot of frustrations and problems in terms of buying access to respond to bids for my work as a tutor for the SAT and ACT. After spending over $150 and getting not a single real job, I tried to contact TT and didn't get any response that seemed to come from a human. I think they get so many complaints that they automate their reponses! I've switched to www.zurved.com, and it works MUCH more transparently. thumbtack takes your money so you can respon to what you hope is a serious buyer, but since there are no restrictions on requesting work, many of them seem vague and I've had multiples from the same name in different zip codes. I spent much money and worse - time communicating talking with people who were not serious. Thumbtack is not for me.
New York, New York
Loss
I've sent out about 2 dozen "quotes", which has cost me around $40, and have not even received a response, from anyone, about anything. I stopped including "prices", thinking people might be disinclined to respond when they see what "pro" work costs (I operate a...

Thank you so much for saving me money, I just joined, got the request for payment to submit a quote without enough info to do the service and said to myself what the heck are you charging me for...and Xed out ...it seems to be just a way to ream the small business owner trying to build a great reputation, back to my referral business and looking for more ways to promote, any more similar service websites that are not crooked ?

The Colony, Texas
Loss

My account is deactivated due to long computer idle time

I can't seem to get ahold of anyone at TT. I left my computer on, ran some errands, all the while I was logged into TT and was in the middle of submitting a quote. I come back (3 hours later) and it asks for me to log back in. So I did. Well, I didn't because I couldn't remember the *** password. So I tried 3 times, and sure enough....THEY LOCKED ME OUT! NO I AM SO *** BECAUSE I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A QUOTE! MY MISTAKE IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR LEAVING IN THE MIDDLE BUT....NEEDLESS TO SAY...THEIR SUPPORT EMAIL SAID IT WOULD BE UP TO 5...YES, I SAID 5 (F-I-V-E) I DON'T HAVE 5 DAYS TO WAIT! I WILL BE GOING TO THEIR HEADQUARTERS ON TUESDAY IF I DON'T GET SOME RESOLUTION. THIS IS ***! TINA
San Francisco, California
Product
Thumbtack Account

Paid Leads went nowhere, Questions Deleted

I really dislike this company. Today I asked a client "are you still looking for someone" and that was deleted. Why do I have to pay thumbtack money to ask that question before I bid. Seems unreasonable. All my paid leads went nowhere and I didn't have any contact info with the client to follow up. There is no budget posted to know if the client is within your price range. I do not recommend this company, I believe they hurt small business by skimming off leads and claiming the top SEO spots. I hope they go out of business.

I have had the same experience. Info is very vague and it really is DITTO to your comment!

Earl

About Face Remodeling L.L.C.

@PissedConsumer792765

Spread the word.... Thumbtack sucks.

I was with Thumbtack for a long time.

Not worth the money. Avoid them.

A lot of contractors complain. Customers don't respond.

That's another reason to believe Thumbtack is providing leads that they post themselves. The bottom line: I think Thumbtack is shady, and I suspect them of being full of ***.

Austin, Texas
Loss

A waste of time for freelancers

after you spend money to bid FOR a quote, you never hear back to see what happened to your bid- Seemingly it goes into a bidding twilight zone and bidders that pay for bids do not know what happened to their money they do find out if it was read or not- thats it it is a good money making system for Thumbtack i submitted email after email and no one ever responded to my 5 emails to customer service there is no phone number LOOK ELSE WHERE, A WASTE OF TIME FOR PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS bidding twilight zone and bidders that pay for bids do not know what happened to their money they do find out if it was read or not- thats it it is a good money making system for Thumbtack i submitted email after email and no one ever responded to my 5 emails to customer service there is no phone number LOOK ELSE WHERE, A WASTE OF TIME FOR PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS

Absolute waste of money. You never know what happens other than your bid was read.

That means nothing.

If they set it up to where after your bid was read, the client had to approve or reject the bid would help out a lot more. Not spending another dime on Thumbtack.

Had a similar experience myself as a photographer. Better is when you try to screen bids using the public questions.

The moderators usually delete the questions with some bogus explanation. Not worth my money.

ID
#472085 Review #472085 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Los Angeles, California
Thumbtack Bidding

Ripped of in Daytona Brach , Fl

Hired landscaper through Thumbtack. Seemed professional. Name: Lino Salmalinos ,, promised work date, cancelled, said plants didn't arrive, wasn't happy with work. Promised to fix, broke sprinkler pipes. Took several calls and promised to fix. Then broke again. Wouldn't answer answer phone. Beware,, Palm Coast, Daytona, Port Orange, Fl. Bad enough, I got ripped. Now you want 100 words to talk about it. It doesn't take that many to explain being ripped off by a company that advertised a business that wasn't checked into. Every time I called, I was lied to( salmalinos),, with oh I forgot. Oh, the truck had problems.

Did you get a contract and a receipt? If not, welcome to adulthood. If so, learn how to use them, they're there for your protection.

Orlando, Florida

NO CALLS MONEY WASTED!!!

I am in the entertainment business. So I decided to give thumbtack a try. So this is what I have come up with. I feel when you pay for a LEAD you actually need to get something for your money. The most important would be a phone # and e-mail. Which is never given!!!! In my field performers charge a variety of fees. I have a certain fee I am willing to go out for. There is never a budget that the client is willing to spend. (This would save everyone alot of time and money) I have spent a good amount of money and have never recieved a call. Not even an inquiry to discuss there event. I know how to fix the problem but thumbtack doesn't want to do anything about it. Its a waste of time. If they keep up these practices they will be out of business. The way they make money is from performers not the clients. I went to the other side to see what the client fills out. That's where the problem is. A lead is not a lead with out a phone #. Which should be mandatory!! What's funny is there is no place on the lead sheet to enclose a phone # or e-mail. I am currently with other companies that are real Professionals thumbtack is not. I have tried to explain to the staff. But they are not interested in doing anything. This company could make millions and is an easy fix. Its very frustrating. They've made it clear to me that no changes are being made!!!! So becasue of that I have ended my relationship with the company. If anyone has had a better experience with them I would like to here it.
New York, New York
Update by user May 17, 2014

I don't understand what it is you are all doing wrong or if it's because you really never give it your all because you weren't sure about the Thumbtack.com service to begin with and all ready had your mind made up that it wasn't good and have spent all of your time...

You're gonna get 1099'd son. And one day the irs is gonna look at ya and wonder how you make 15k in 6 months without a licence.

You should get a license. Your in arizona, son you could probably find a license in a Cracker Jack box or maybe at a garage sale.

Phoenix, Arizona
Thumbtack Customer Care

Leads received lead to no jobs; license not being posted

I signed up with thumbtack, recently. They have been charging me to send quotes to clients, but so far, no clients get back to me. Also, even though I am a licensed professional, they have been refusing to post my license on my profile. I have send them tons of e-mails and they don't resolve the issue. I keep spending money on them and have gotten 0 clients. I would have been better off with craiglist, which is cheaper and you actually get work. if they don't take care of my issue today, I will cancel my account. I will not recommend to any professional looking to get hired.

I had a very similar experience with ThumbTack, I am a photographer from Cleveland Ohio, I paid for numerous leads from weddings to headshots, not one lead contacted me. As a photographer I have had many experiences working with the public.

When someone is really serious about hiring a photographer they often times will communicate more than a few times to set cost, time & place. Not having anyone respond back is fishy. I spent close to $100 total for leads & a background check so I would appear to potential clients as legitimate.

Still no responses to medium to low quotes. I have years of experience & a well thought out & designed website yet no responses from potential "clients".I am done some research & found this is a very common experience that photographers have had using this website.

@PissedConsumer779207

Sorry that this happened to you. As a massage therapist, I was quite frustrated.

I had all these alleged leads and never got a job or even an answer from any clients. Additionally, I kept receiving the same clients' leads over and over again ?? And no responses. That's when I realized something was fishy like you said.

Anyway, they only took me for $18. I wasn't about to keep paying for these ghost leads. My advice to everyone?

Stay away! :eek

Phoenix, Arizona

Thumbtack Leeds ?

I'm tired of trying to reason and communicate with Thumbtack. Thumbtack gives the Leeds out to 5 Contractors. All the while controlling every aspect of communication with the client.They want you to pay first, before any communication and monitor any questions you might have for the client. If you pay for the lead, and the client looks at your question, like "Can I view your job in person before I quote"? Thumbtack won't allow that! They do not care, they are a Marketing outfit Once Thumbtack has your money, and the client looks at your question, but doesn't respond, Thumbtack keeps your money. Their guarantee to give you back your money if a client doesn't look at your question is a win win for them. as soon as the client looks at your question and doesn't respond, They (Thumbtack) keeps your money! If your a Professional Contractor you certainly can see right through this scam!!
#820225

They're a phony company. They need to get busted for what they're doing!

Again, Ditto to your posting. I went through the same B.S.

Earl

About Face Remodeling L.L.C.

Update by user Jun 19, 2013

The word they starred out is w-e-e-d. Not sure why they think that's a bad word.

I mean it in the sense of sorting out, not p-o-t. LOL :grin

Original review posted by user Jun 19, 2013
At this point I have to say that I would *not* recommend Thumbtack.com as a good way to generate work. To be sure, you will...

I have the same thought that they are creating false clients, I may ask a lawyer about what to do, they have in fact taken money from my account for false leads as well as used my name to create a false request for service which resulted in a charge to another persons business. When I first found thumbtack I was getting a few jobs and continued clients, but at times a request was bogus so I called and got them not to charge.

They now take your call and complaint but do nothing to help, plus they've raised their prices too much. They say I need to get a background check and said it's free, which isn't true, People should know any contractor is checked by the state before they get any type of trade license.

Thumbtack is cheaper to use than other lead sources but still too expensive especially trying to follow a fake lead then getting charged plus the time and etc. To sum it up it's a great business model for a crook and too many like it already exist.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Loss

Thumbtack is a complete RIPOFF!!

I have been paying for lead generation for about 8 months with thumbtack. The website sends you plenty of leads however the return on the leads is less than great! Out of 16 leads that I have paid for I have spoken to 1 person. 1 person hired me and 2 decided not to move forward and I was refunded 1 fee. If the consumers really knew what they were not getting for this service ....they don't get personal involvement, they cant really see the designers work. Working with a company or designer is a personal thing since we are so involved in a clients home. Thumbtack doesn't not support this and they have figured out a way to collect money from people with great reward for them and not much for the professional in return.

I'm an attorney who has been using Thumbtack for around six months. I couldn't be happier with the amount of leads I get.

Yes it would be nice to get more clients but I have probably at least 10 clients I am currently working with that came through Thumbtack including at least 2 of which are significant cases generating considerable fees. For the dollar spent, no other advertising or referral service comes close. I couldn't be happier.

My wife is also on Thumbtack as a pastry chef and has had a similar experience.

No self respecting photographer or other service provider pays for leads... Folks if you are looking for a pro, you will NOT find it via thumbtack....

Do you really want somebody that has placed themself between you and the provider on search engines, and the service provider has to pay for you lead? Google should be ashamed for allowing this.

As an attorney. I am always amazed how much people want to trust others and refuse to accept that there just are *** in the world who wake up each day trying to find a better way to cheat their fellow humans. I think all of us want to believe that most people are good. Frankly , most are. But with millions of people it doesn't take but a small percentage and you have a lot of bad apples.

Thumbtack I felt from the beginning (when I did a trial run with free credits), is a classic scam. Anyone who is actually an aware person and pays attention, rather than believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy leaving money under their pillow fora tooth, can discern the subtle nature of their plan. For example, did anyone notice that after you submit a few quotes, they suddenly have a surge in "leads." What I want to know if who is the clown who dreams up the names they use. He or she must have a book of babies' first names so that he can generate enough bull-*** leads to bilk the unaware and naive.

Further, what website that was totally legitimate would have prospective customers/clients ("leads" ) include such minimal amount of information about the services they seek; and apparently, then expect professionals service providers to actually send legitimate quotes.

The information that they provide for so-called "leads" looking for legal service would not allow any competent, ethical attorney to provide a rate, fee or "quote. How some lawyers are apparently submitting these quotes is beyond me. Same for persons in other businesses and professions.

I sent a few quotes to some "leads" writing something like: "Are you another B.S. lead that the losers at Thumbtack generate to bilk and cheat us providers, etc. etc?"

Another time I wrote in the quote (asking for more information): "I think that I will charge you zero and instead investigate the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit against Thumbtack and individually against their officers and key employees who obviously are committing a deceptive practice." Do you think I got any response from the so-called "leads" to whom I submitted these quotes; maybe asking "what the heck are you talking about... I am a legitimate person seeking an attorney?!!" Nope. Try it yourself. See what reply if any you get. Save you money! Use it for legitimate marketing efforts. This Thumbtack is another online predator trying to scam others. Research their history. I believe their founder was indicted some years ago.

Thumbtack is a scam and a lie. They code their webpages to come up in search engines with the title "The Top 32 general contractors in Cincinnati" or whatever the industry, city, and number of companies they list.

But anyone can fill out a profile with them, including bogus companies or ones operating illegally without a license. So how are they the "top" companies? Answer: They aren't, and it's a lie.

Thumbtack scams the consumer with their fraudulent website titles. Google should blacklist them.

Just wait until they get slapped with the class action lawsuit thats in the works...Gonna be fun !!! And I cannot wait until its filed.....

@PissedConsumer738937

tell us where, when & how...we'll be in that line....we imagine some geeks sitting at screens entertaining themselves with the corrupt practices of this company, but then again, it's likely this company pays its employ minimum wage

#820229
@PissedConsumer810762

They might pay them extra to write fake reviews here too!

Original Complainant - I stopped my service at thumbtack!!! Since then my business has taken off in other ways. Don't pay for thumbtack the response back is a joke!

I tend to agree with you thumbtack is total BS

@PissedConsumer681013

$85 for x-amount of leads, 5 times a month and to only have a closing rate of 1% is pathetic, I have been paying for this service for over a year now, my prices are below most other services and compared to Groupon prices... I cannot give our service away for free and I'm sure not in the business to continuously lose money - after my credits are done...

so am I! :(