Good Experience

I made a profile, I paid $3.33 to send a bid and since I was the only bidder, I got the lesson. Lesson went smooth and the clients were great and we are meeting next week for lesson number two. Thumbtack is great for a stab in the dark hoping to get some business. I wouldn't put all my faith in it but it works. For $3.33 to bid I will probably end up making close to 4k in golf lessons before it's all said and dont. Great service unless you're unprofessional or you live in a rural area.

If you were truly a business and listed on Thumbtack, like other businesses, you would have listed your company name to help promote yourself. Unless you are a complete *** or most likly someone at Thumbtack trying desprately to bury these negative reviews which makes this review even more pathetic.

So, if you are a real business, what is your info? We can review it and let others know if this review is real or make believe

Dothan, Alabama
Good quality

Thumbtack Uses False Enticement.

Thanks to all of you for writing these reviews on Thumbtack. It sure sounded like a scam. So thank God I didn't pay any money or complete any work. If we all think about it 2x, it should be clear that this money is going straight into the pocket of those who set up this phony thumbtack gig. Before long, enough people will get ripped and the FTC will come swooping down. How many times has this happened before? Far too many to count. But by the time this happens, millions if not thousand would have already been scammed. It won't happen to me since I've already unsubscribed after 2 days.
San Diego, California

NEVER PAID - AWFUL EXPERIENCE

I have been using Thumbtack for roughly 3-4 months, and have always found its lack of client details annoying (would get emails saying "so-and-so" wants an illustration, what kind? "no idea", budget? "no idea". So I already knew I'm working with a site that doesn't screen or verify the professionalism of their clients. To recoup the losses of paying for credits to make a quote on a few gigs, I accepted the offer of "Olivia W." to make a few illustrations. Firstly, she didn't sound professional in our correspondence at all (didn't know what she wanted, wanted a lot work done before any payment was made), but that's okay - clients can be anyone, and it's the artists' job to educate them on the process. So, I spent a majority of my weekend making two drawings for her, and sent lo-res preview images for her approval. The project went fine, she approved the final look, and requested that I draw a few more. I requested payment for the first drawings before we move on, to which she suddenly "has a family emergency, and will let me know when she's back in the state". I took her at her word at first (I'm sensitive to family matters) and said, "Sure, let me know when you're back." It's been almost a month now, and I've heard nothing. I've messaged her several times, each a little angrier, and she hasn't even read them, let alone responded. At this point I'm furious with her AND with Thumbtack. THIS is the quality of users seeking work on their site - absolutely ludicrous. I've emailed Thumbtack my complaint, making sure to dole out blame accordingly (my fault for working with someone who doesn't know what they're doing, and their fault for not verifying the "professionalism" of their users), and Thumbtack hasn't responded. Is no one accountable?! And if I have only myself to blame, at the very least I've resolved to: **NEVER USE THUMBTACK AGAIN** But I truly feel that one must experience things for themselves; I can only relay my awful experience. I'm sure others have had wonderful collaborations on the site, so by all means give it a try. Just know that there's a down-side to middle-man sites that try to revolutionize the accessibility of labor relationships to professionals and non-professionals alike.

Oh the good ol family imergency ***!! Gkot that too! WOW

This site removes comments. It is NOT a neutral website as you are let to believe.

I have now been on Thumbtack for two and a half weeks. I've paid to send 20 plus quotes (many more who I sent info.

to who never looked at my quote). I am spending money to get who? Like the above statement says, who are these clients? I had to pay for a backround check and I have references, a website, and professional associations where the potential clients can verify who I am.

I don't believe there is any screening process for "clients." (maybe I am wrong)

As of yesterday I had decided that if I was not "hired" I would quit the site. Well, wouldn't you know it...I got hired yesterday right after I made that proclamation. Sort of hired. I talked to this man on the phone for ten minutes and explained that my fees had to be paid up front.

I told him that he would need to get a PayPal account and he said "no problem, I have a bank account." I prepared an invoice which I sent to his email address and I called and texted as a follow-up. We had our first appointment this evening at 5pm provided he paid his invoice. It's now 4:52pm and I sent a reminder invoice an hour ago.

I have not heard anything back so I can only assume that the request for counseling was bogus.

I am done with Thumbtack.

I use thumbtack and spend a lot of money on it. You are correct the leads are very hard to qualify before you buy.

But I do try to screen them, the leads cost me about $15 each!!! and only about 1 in 10 is even viable. I have found freelancer sites even worse. Bidding against outsourcing companies for $100 for a website.

But on Thumbtack I have found 3 good leads in a year approximately and have spend about $1000 on leads. One job I took, is an ongoing monthly client so one month of services has paid for all my Thumbtack leads. I also have been working with another new client which so far is going well. But I have also turned people away on this website, saying they did not fit what I was looking for (because they seemed sketchy).

Also people most of the time are not even serious about a project. They never get back to you and they are just looking around.

If they knew you had to pay $15 for them to look around they would not do it. So I have mixed feelings about Thumbtack.

View more comments (3)
San Francisco, California
Pros
  • Ease of use
Cons
  • No accountability
Let the company propose a solution

Thumbtack's Five Bid Restriction Is Ridiculous!

I'm a professional wedding photographer and subscribe to Thumbtack as source for gaining new customers. Thumbtack imposes a bid restriction of five bids for each request. The restriction severely limits the number of professionals the requester has to choose from. I work at my profession full time and don't have a lot time to sit in front of a computer checking Thumbtack for request. I've complained to Thumbtack about their restriction a couple of times and get the same response, "we will pass this to our development team". All they are really interested in is padding their pockets. Thumbtack's JOKE!!
Chesapeake, Virginia
Poor customer service
We hired a Thumbtack listed pet sitter - Cheryl Mull, based on a DOJ background check done by Thumbtack. A simple search (of course after I lost $700 worth of items) showed a list of 10 felony counts in 2010. How did they miss this? My bad I know, but Thumbtack is...
Snohomish, Washington
Not as described/ advertised
Let the company propose a solution

Thumbtack, every trick and more!

Yes, have you got it yet. Thumbtack uses every trick in the book and have invented a few more of their own!Their newest is to text me about a potential client, ask me to purchase a lead who already has 3-4 quotes. They will do anything to get your bucks! Also, I find it strange that, when I ask a perfectly logical question to the potential owner, I have never received a response! Of course, the other big issue is the fact that Thumbtack bunches the Professional Contractor in with the non-licensed, non insured, non bonded, handyman or anybody. They even ask the potential client, assuming there is one, if they want a Licensed or Non Licensed person. I have complained to Thumbtack about this, and their response for the last 3 years has been, we are working on it! Wake up people!!!

Disclaimer first, my company ZYGOON is trying to address the very problem most of the people in this forum are experiencing with companies like Thumbtack that make money through leads. That being said, I really cannot comment on Thumbtack's business practices, but do want to point out that the reason people are having such bad experiences is because that's how Thumbtack's business model works.

Whenever you are buying leads, you are taking a gamble, and whenever you gamble, you win sometimes and lose sometimes.

The model we are working on at ZYGOON is to make it risk-free for hard working individuals like you and help you grow your business organically, so you don't have to gamble with your money. We will be launching our services soon. Please check our site www.zygoon.com.

If you think you can spend 20 - 30 mins and share your pain points with us, please send a note to customer_relations@***.com and we will get back to you.

Looking forward to hearing from at least some of you.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Mohan C.

@PissedConsumer899349

Good luck with that business model!

View more comments (1)
Canoga Park, California
Cons
  • Tricky
  • Shady
  • Non resonsive

Thumbtack is a scam

I have submitted numerous quotes, gotten 'contacted' one time, via the thumbtack text service. The 'buyer' asked for quotes via phone, yet never answered her phone and never returned a voice message. Went back and forth until just prior to the event, and suddenly disappeared. No amount of texting or emailing or calling would result in an actual verifiable contact with an actual customer. I have also submitted numerous quotes, which are almost always 'viewed' by the potential client, however all save one never once contacted me for verification of the quote or discussions. It would seem that since that there are generally only three quotes per request, statistically there would have been a few inquiries, but they go completely dark once you send the dollars in for the quote process. Scam big time

Maybe you are too expensive? Im looking for help fixing my home but im in oregon...where r u?

Portland, Oregon

Thumbtack - Quote Review from Matteson, Illinois

I've paid for many quotes, however, they are either not opened or I'm never hired. It seems like a scam. I never receive a call or email.

I would echo this review entirely. I have submitted numerous quotes, gotten 'contacted' one time, via the thumbtack text service.

Scam big time

Matteson, Illinois

Thumbtack - Dog Breeder Review from Amarillo, Texas

I tried to give several quotes and everytime I would try to put up a quote it would tell me my time to give a quote was up. I had quite a few people asking for a quote. I have trained and worked with Pittbulls, Rottweilers, Boxers, Mastiffs but I do work with all dog breeds. I have birthed puppies, and coached dogs thru parvo. I have been callwd the neighborhood vet. It woyld not allow me to place my quote.
Amarillo, Texas

Thumbtack - Website Review from Newark, New Jersey

I've spent over $100 on buying credits. Out of all the quotes I submitted two contacted me. At first I thought maybe my email to them was putting them off so I had another professional read it. The worse thing about this website is you get a lot of clients who wants great photography for less than $100!! It is truly a worthless program. You don't get all the information you need to even give a great quote for events or other sessions. You waste credits just trying to figure out what the client is truly looking for. A big waste and thumbtack doesn't asked the correct questions so we can give the client a quote. It's scam for sure.
Newark, New Jersey
Product
Thumbtack Website

Worthless, thumbtack is indeed a scam

I spent over $100 sending quotes to customers. Out of 20 quotes, only two replied, and they were "just shopping around" and not ready to buy. That's the problem with Thumbtack, most customers requesting quotes don't understand you have to pay to give them a quote, and they might be just curious, or not ready to buy. They might come back in a few months to buy or they might just buy somewhere else. Either way, you've lost your money to Thumbtack. Also, most requests are vague. They don't specify what their price range is or what exactly they need, so you waste money on blindly guessing what they want to pay. You should also know that most of the positive reviews for Thumbtack are left by Thumbtack employees. They're fake reviews. They don't even bother to use a fake name. There are many screenshots of this at the Thumbtack Complaints page on Facebook. I like the idea of Thumbtack, and if you only had to pay if you got hired, I'd be very happy with it. But as it stands right now, they're just taking your money for nothing in return. Poor small business owners can't afford to throw money away on nothing. Shame on you Thumbtack.
Los Angeles, California
Cons
  • Lost money
  • No results
Service is a scam
Full refund

Thumbtack - Website Review from Chicago, Illinois

Its a scam. Fraud website

Total Scam. Don't waste money here. I only lost $10 bucks but it's useless nonetheless.

@PissedConsumer895959

I as a contractor get tons of work from Thumbtack. How exactly do you feel they are a scam??

I am more than satisfied with Thumbtack. Been with them since the beginning.

I constantly get emails from thumbtack needing a "presentation designer". I have been in the graphic design field almost 40 years and I have never heard of a "presentation designer." I can only assume they mean Powerpoint presentation but they don't tell you that.

They don't tell you how many pages, graphs, charts, illustration, photos etc.

So how can I estimate this if I can't talk to the client and get more info? I put Thumbtack in the same category as "Designquote" which is also a total fraud.

I am still baffled by Thumbtack. I just bought a house so I am on the consumer side looking for all kinds of home-related services, from painters to handymen to house cleaning.

Thumbtack is always quick to respond with "eligible" contractors, but I have never used a single one because they all seem shady. For one thing, when compared to reputable Angie's List service providers, these people come in REALLY low in price (a red flag for me). I just get the creepiest feeling from some of the people that respond - they just don't seem legit.

I have been afraid to use any of them, and I feel bad for the legit ones because I'm so jaded by the others and there's just no way to tell. I'm sticking with Angie's List and the occasional Zaarly.

@PissedConsumer895744

Yes, that is a shame that you feel the contractors on Thumbtack are shady. I am a contractor that has been in business for over 30 years.

Before joining Thumbtack, as a contractor, you are required to submit to a background - criminal check, at your own expense, prove license information and insurance information. Angie's List however, as I am a contractor with them also, never asked for any of this information. I must say that being a contractor on both sites, I personally feel that Thumbtack has more to offer using reputable contractors, as they actually do the "leg work" to verify information of each contractor, Angie's List however, all I had to do way pay them a fee to be a contractor on their site, I also pay money to Angie's List to move up higher in the search results, as well as, pay money to get service award badges on my Angie's List profile. On Thumbtack you have to earn the badges, by servicing a certain number of customers with 5 star reviews.

Angie's List is a thing of the past. I cancelled my member ship with them, and will be using Thumbtack as one of my main sources for advertisement, trust me, from the customers stand point, I'd much rather have a hired contractor from Thumbtack in my home or business then someone from Angie's, again they do no back ground checks or anything.

They have a pay system.

View more comments (4)
Chicago, Illinois
Product
Thumbtack Website

I question this service more and more every day.

I joined thumbtack more than a year ago and I've been hired 9 times through locals looking for photographers that found me through thumbtack. The rest of the times I send quotes to people and they either never open the quote or they cancel within minutes after I submit my bid. The names are definitely questionable and their descriptions are also extremely vague. A person looking for an event photographer but wants head-shots, all in the descriptions. The other thing that concerns me is that there would be weeks with no request and then all of the sudden one day I get a influx of them in my inbox. All generated overnight...I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bot involved that generates requests. I have changed all my tactics from different price ranges and packages. I've tried them all and lately its been very very disappointing. Im about to try one more tactic and unsubscribe.

This has been my experience too. I've had about 10 leads that led to bookings. The other 20 that I've responded to lead to nothing!

Looking forward to hearing from at least some of you.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Mohan C.

I have been using this for about 2 weeks now for photography. I have done a lot of the same things you are doing and I feel the same way.

I have landed 3 jobs using this service. I am still on the fence with this service. I still have some doubts. I have about 25 quotes out pending response.

I have not given up yet. I do know that hits on my website are up.

As long as I Am making money in the process I guess it works. I will give it a few more months before I make a judgement.

View more comments (2)
New Orleans, Louisiana

I will NEVER USE thumbtack.com again

Local contractor called right away with an open schedule. (First warning.) Came quickly for a quote and took another call from someone else for several minutes while there. Called me back next day with another time to stop by, which then was which another worker. After a few days another call with price, "to do the work I wanted." I said I wanted time to review price which seemed high. A couple more calls I said yes and he stopped by for 50% upfront deposit for materials etc. I'd already purchased the door to install, but he had to pick it up about 2 miles from my home. A week later I called prior day to confirm time. He was then one hour late, 8:30 AM not 7:00. That day i periodically checked work progress and was shocked by some adjustments he explained. Then he asked for the total so he could get it in the bank that day. I obliged. He called me when he was done and I came to inspect, with half the described work not done. He forgot. They then finished claiming late for the next job. Again I inspected with more explanations of things he would do to fix, later. By the end of the day I'd filled gaps done in installation and noticed leaking before i left for an evening date. I tested the next day and the same for days to follow. I finally left an email on thumbtack with a summary of my issues which prompted a quick phone call back with his anger. We set a date for follow up and now he's unreachable to my phone number. I'm in a new semi-rural area after retiring on fixed income. I'm now repairing myself the plumbing that leaks. I will never give someone a chance again and I WILL NEVER USE thumbtack.com for anything and pass on the word to others. Above all the experience is embarrassing to me personally having been in this field, now retired.
Damaged or defective

Can't believe this...

I'm a reputable business....I've gotten one job from them, and it was at bargain basement prices. I was treated like ***--as if I were the house maid, given two days lead time to do a brides makeup (that she had planned for a year, but forgot about makeup--really) and hadn't a clue of what she looked like, what she wanted, or what her colors were...Furthermore, she only paid me for travel and one hour of time. I was totally ripped off. I knew it too. The bride never contacted me for a consult, or a sample of my work. She finally called me the day of the wedding and still gave me nothing to hold onto as far as working with her colors or otherwise. I got to the gig...and she was nice enough, but gave me little to go by,one photograph of an Audrey Hepburneque eyeliner, photo as far as what she wanted...She didn't tip me either. She didn't like what she got, but never helped me out once. I kept asking and she kept say it was okay...I made a stop to get fake eyelashes on her request, my contact was closed....it was a nightmare. Wow...totally disappointed with Thumbtack. Why bother if you don't give us, as businesses, enough information to even quote a competitive rate. I don't work for free....albeit most of those going to thumbtack think you are working for free.

How is this Thumbtack's fault that you under quoted yourself and ended up with a bad client? Their job was to assist you with finding someone looking for your type of service.

They did that. The rest sounds like you weren't assertive enough. You have culpability in this situation as well.

You didn't have to accept the job.

Walnut Creek, California
Service
Thumbtack Leads
Reason of review
Didn't get enough travel time money from client, didn't get full payment of my time either.
Full refund