Thumbtack Reviews

Show reviews that mention
money service job customer business people leads account quote customers
Filter review

Leads received lead to no jobs; license not being posted

I signed up with thumbtack, recently. They have been charging me to send quotes to clients, but so far, no clients get back to me. Also, even though I am a licensed professional, they have been refusing to post my license on my profile. I have send them tons of e-mails and they don't resolve the issue. I keep spending money on them and have gotten 0 clients. I would have been better off with craiglist, which is cheaper and you actually get work. if they don't take care of my issue today, I will cancel my account. I will not recommend to any professional looking to get hired.

I had a very similar experience with ThumbTack, I am a photographer from Cleveland Ohio, I paid for numerous leads from weddings to headshots, not one lead contacted me. As a photographer I have had many experiences working with the public.

When someone is really serious about hiring a photographer they often times will communicate more than a few times to set cost, time & place. Not having anyone respond back is fishy. I spent close to $100 total for leads & a background check so I would appear to potential clients as legitimate.

Still no responses to medium to low quotes. I have years of experience & a well thought out & designed website yet no responses from potential "clients".I am done some research & found this is a very common experience that photographers have had using this website.

@PissedConsumer779207

Sorry that this happened to you. As a massage therapist, I was quite frustrated.

I had all these alleged leads and never got a job or even an answer from any clients. Additionally, I kept receiving the same clients' leads over and over again ?? And no responses. That's when I realized something was fishy like you said.

Anyway, they only took me for $18. I wasn't about to keep paying for these ghost leads. My advice to everyone?

Stay away! :eek

View more comments (1)
Phoenix, Arizona

Thumbtack Leeds ?

I'm tired of trying to reason and communicate with Thumbtack. Thumbtack gives the Leeds out to 5 Contractors. All the while controlling every aspect of communication with the client.They want you to pay first, before any communication and monitor any questions you might have for the client. If you pay for the lead, and the client looks at your question, like "Can I view your job in person before I quote"? Thumbtack won't allow that! They do not care, they are a Marketing outfit Once Thumbtack has your money, and the client looks at your question, but doesn't respond, Thumbtack keeps your money. Their guarantee to give you back your money if a client doesn't look at your question is a win win for them. as soon as the client looks at your question and doesn't respond, They (Thumbtack) keeps your money! If your a Professional Contractor you certainly can see right through this scam!!
#820225

They're a phony company. They need to get busted for what they're doing!

Again, Ditto to your posting. I went through the same B.S.

Earl

About Face Remodeling L.L.C.

View more comments (1)
Update by user Jun 19, 2013

The word they starred out is w-e-e-d. Not sure why they think that's a bad word.

I mean it in the sense of sorting out, not p-o-t. LOL :grin

Original review posted by user Jun 19, 2013
At this point I have to say that I would *not* recommend Thumbtack.com as a good way to generate work. To be sure, you will...

I have the same thought that they are creating false clients, I may ask a lawyer about what to do, they have in fact taken money from my account for false leads as well as used my name to create a false request for service which resulted in a charge to another persons business. When I first found thumbtack I was getting a few jobs and continued clients, but at times a request was bogus so I called and got them not to charge.

They now take your call and complaint but do nothing to help, plus they've raised their prices too much. They say I need to get a background check and said it's free, which isn't true, People should know any contractor is checked by the state before they get any type of trade license.

Thumbtack is cheaper to use than other lead sources but still too expensive especially trying to follow a fake lead then getting charged plus the time and etc. To sum it up it's a great business model for a crook and too many like it already exist.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Loss

Thumbtack is a complete RIPOFF!!

I have been paying for lead generation for about 8 months with thumbtack. The website sends you plenty of leads however the return on the leads is less than great! Out of 16 leads that I have paid for I have spoken to 1 person. 1 person hired me and 2 decided not to move forward and I was refunded 1 fee. If the consumers really knew what they were not getting for this service ....they don't get personal involvement, they cant really see the designers work. Working with a company or designer is a personal thing since we are so involved in a clients home. Thumbtack doesn't not support this and they have figured out a way to collect money from people with great reward for them and not much for the professional in return.

I'm an attorney who has been using Thumbtack for around six months. I couldn't be happier with the amount of leads I get.

Yes it would be nice to get more clients but I have probably at least 10 clients I am currently working with that came through Thumbtack including at least 2 of which are significant cases generating considerable fees. For the dollar spent, no other advertising or referral service comes close. I couldn't be happier.

My wife is also on Thumbtack as a pastry chef and has had a similar experience.

No self respecting photographer or other service provider pays for leads... Folks if you are looking for a pro, you will NOT find it via thumbtack....

Do you really want somebody that has placed themself between you and the provider on search engines, and the service provider has to pay for you lead? Google should be ashamed for allowing this.

As an attorney. I am always amazed how much people want to trust others and refuse to accept that there just are *** in the world who wake up each day trying to find a better way to cheat their fellow humans. I think all of us want to believe that most people are good. Frankly , most are. But with millions of people it doesn't take but a small percentage and you have a lot of bad apples.

Thumbtack I felt from the beginning (when I did a trial run with free credits), is a classic scam. Anyone who is actually an aware person and pays attention, rather than believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy leaving money under their pillow fora tooth, can discern the subtle nature of their plan. For example, did anyone notice that after you submit a few quotes, they suddenly have a surge in "leads." What I want to know if who is the clown who dreams up the names they use. He or she must have a book of babies' first names so that he can generate enough bull-*** leads to bilk the unaware and naive.

Further, what website that was totally legitimate would have prospective customers/clients ("leads" ) include such minimal amount of information about the services they seek; and apparently, then expect professionals service providers to actually send legitimate quotes.

The information that they provide for so-called "leads" looking for legal service would not allow any competent, ethical attorney to provide a rate, fee or "quote. How some lawyers are apparently submitting these quotes is beyond me. Same for persons in other businesses and professions.

I sent a few quotes to some "leads" writing something like: "Are you another B.S. lead that the losers at Thumbtack generate to bilk and cheat us providers, etc. etc?"

Another time I wrote in the quote (asking for more information): "I think that I will charge you zero and instead investigate the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit against Thumbtack and individually against their officers and key employees who obviously are committing a deceptive practice." Do you think I got any response from the so-called "leads" to whom I submitted these quotes; maybe asking "what the heck are you talking about... I am a legitimate person seeking an attorney?!!" Nope. Try it yourself. See what reply if any you get. Save you money! Use it for legitimate marketing efforts. This Thumbtack is another online predator trying to scam others. Research their history. I believe their founder was indicted some years ago.

Thumbtack is a scam and a lie. They code their webpages to come up in search engines with the title "The Top 32 general contractors in Cincinnati" or whatever the industry, city, and number of companies they list.

But anyone can fill out a profile with them, including bogus companies or ones operating illegally without a license. So how are they the "top" companies? Answer: They aren't, and it's a lie.

Thumbtack scams the consumer with their fraudulent website titles. Google should blacklist them.

Just wait until they get slapped with the class action lawsuit thats in the works...Gonna be fun !!! And I cannot wait until its filed.....

@PissedConsumer738937

tell us where, when & how...we'll be in that line....we imagine some geeks sitting at screens entertaining themselves with the corrupt practices of this company, but then again, it's likely this company pays its employ minimum wage

#820229
@PissedConsumer810762

They might pay them extra to write fake reviews here too!

Original Complainant - I stopped my service at thumbtack!!! Since then my business has taken off in other ways. Don't pay for thumbtack the response back is a joke!

I tend to agree with you thumbtack is total BS

@PissedConsumer681013

$85 for x-amount of leads, 5 times a month and to only have a closing rate of 1% is pathetic, I have been paying for this service for over a year now, my prices are below most other services and compared to Groupon prices... I cannot give our service away for free and I'm sure not in the business to continuously lose money - after my credits are done...

so am I! :(

View more comments (10)
San Diego, California
Loss
Thumbtack, Inc. Complaint Description:Thumbtack is an online lead generating company for contractors. They give very vague information when a potential customer requests a quote. You are charged to provide a quote to the customer via a message system on the website....

Reverbnation does the same thing as "thumbtack " false claims. No biz.

They are a scam organization that hires trolls to gang up on you and discredit you when you oppose them. It happened on facebook. They are evil! I paid 85.00 which i had never agreed too.

And if i had not stopped it they would keep charging account. Never got refunded! Thumbtack does the same thing. I only agreed to a 3 dollar fee!

Its the internet scam folks! Musicians dont bother using reverbnation.! Sound cloud is much more efficient...

and more popular. Reverbnation is now looking like a *** myspace page...who knows maybe it too is run by the same ego maniac.

Charlotte, North Carolina

3 leads with incomplete info and NO response from customers or thumbtack

Signed up for thumbtack and got 3 leads sent to me (from 10 profile Clicks.. actually a good average) None of the leads had any contact info or any real information about the services requested (other than "painting - exterior walls or trim") included with them. The first one I received at like 1 am, so I wrote back at 930 the next morning. The other 2 I contacted (through thier internal message service... and didn't hear back. I CANT GET ANY RESPONSE FROM THUMBTACK SUPPORT AT ALL!!! Here's how their service has played out for me.... 1. Receive 1-2 leads a week for $3-$16 2. Once you pay, you still get no contact info, no measurements, nothing. -but you do get to send a message inside a little box. 3. Your notified when the customer opens the message, at that point you can't get a refund according to their written policy. 4. customer NEVER RESPONDS, company doesn't either 5. Your out the money I wouldn't be pissed if I got to ACTUALLY GIVE A F'N QUOTE, or got to talk to a customer. Feel Like a Sucker!!!!

there is a site built to report these issues www.thumbtack.reviews. This company is heartbreaking

Thumbtack is SCAM. I own a carpet tile and upholstery cleaning business, and I kept getting leads on my phone without even being signed up with them.

So I decided to give thumbtack a shot. I bought 12 credits for 17.99 to reply to a potential tile cleaning job in Newport Beach. The request was very vague such as it didn't say type of tile and the square footage was listed as 500 to 1000 sq ft, which is a huge discrepancy in being able to accurately give an appropriate estimate. So I sent I need more info such as type of tile and exact sq ft.

I received a message back saying travertine. No sq ft. So I sent another message for sq ft. I received no response.

24 hours later still shows lead is still open for quotes. I noticed I was charged for requesting info twice. I then called thumbtack customer service and asked how they could charge me for more info if no quote was given. She said that is how it works.

She then told me that a quote was accepted by client. I said that's funny it doesn't show that to me. I then proceeded tell her that how can a quote be given and accepted without proper information. She had no answer.

I told her that thumbtack seems like a hinky organization and wanted a full refund of my $17.99.

I noticed they have taken my business off their service, however as of yet I have not received any refund. Moral of the story is that thumbtack leads are basically a fairytale and that this company preys upon the small business owner

Hi, please check thumbtackblacklist.wordpress.com for lists of clients likely to cause professionals grief.

This is how Thumbtack actually works. What you're experiencing is just the system.

You will never get responses from all the leads you get. We use Thumbtack regularly for our business. We get about 4-5 leads per day on average. I might get a response from one of those and actually get to talk to one customer out of about 6-7 leads and maybe one out of 15-20 turns into a sale.

It's just a numbers game because most people are kicking tires. You have to ask yourself if a job is worth paying for about 15-20 leads. It depends on the cost of the service you sell as to how much you're willing to pay to make a sale. For us, our jobs average about $2,000-$10,000 and it's definitely worth paying for 15 leads to get a job, maybe $200 or so.

I'd pay $200 all day to get a $2,000 job. A lot of Thumbtack technique is about the way you respond to a customer. It's also how polished your profile page is and the number of reviews your company has. You need to put on your best sales game and make it important for them to get a call.

I've changed my response technique several times and I've also gone in as a customer to see how it works from their POV to get a better understanding. They will respond if they're actually interested. Those that think every lead that comes in will turn into work are fooling themselves and don't understand how the system works.

You just need to calculate if the cost of sales on Thumbtack after you've made a few and see if it's right for your business. In our case, we've probably generated close to $100K in revenue through the system so it's definitely worth it to us.

Same here. I finally bid a job for $1 and still got no response.

What a joke!

What a ripoff. I have learned and I hope you do too.

I Agree this services needs to be avail-waited. I get leads for Power washing asap when it's 2 degrees there is 21 feet of snow on the ground.

Also yes the leads coming in at 1am or 3am in the Morning are very questionable. :cry :x :upset

I have had the same trouble with the site. No matter how low of a quote you send in, the consumer never calls and support doesn't care about this issue.

Definitely would not recommend this service to any Service Providers out there. Waste of Time and Money!!!!

I create websites and have spent $200 so far. ZERO is the result.

Some of the leads appear exciting. Then the lead cancels.

Time to reevaluate. Social Media advertising pays off much better.

Do not sign up for Thumbtack! I paid money to get be able to respond to quotes, not I can't access my account at all and no one responds at customer service or "support".

It is making my company look bad, as if I am ignoring quotes despite the fact I PAID to be able to do so!! Total scam & rip off.

I feel like an *** for signing up with these numbnuts, too. To give a quote, you have to have info, especially in a design capacity, but any other such thing, fence building, patio pouring.

Don't you have to SEE what you're going to be doing before you bid on it? Wouldn't you get yourself entangled in al sorts of liabilities? I was called out by a commercial property who wanted to extend a ramshackle shack in back of their place of business in Beverly Hills. I could tell they wanted cheap and hungry - in order to avoid a permit i.e.

they would choose someone who didn't know a permit was needed. One always spins the wheel of chance on bids, but the one bid I got wasn't worth my gas.

Thumbtack is very tacky…..

View more comments (37)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Loss

ThumbTack tricked my niece into providing my personal email account

My niece is in sports. She was REQUIRED to supply a certain number of email accounts as part of some fund-raising program. My sister, not recognizing what was going to happen, gave them mine. OH F*. The SPAM has already begun. I am pissed, pissed, pissed. Thumbtack are pigs. I'm calling her school to complain, too! I would have been HAPPY to make a cash donation to her sports program. They didn't even give me a chance. F* Of course, I've unsubcribed, but undoubtedly, they will sell my email address. F*! F*! F*! F*! F*! F*!

You Sir, are an ***.

#820240
@PissedConsumer535917

And you thumbtack representative, quit writing fake reviews and quit scamming people!

@PissedConsumer820240

You do realize your review makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, right?

View more comments (2)
Northeast Harbor, Maine
Thumbtack Personal Trainer
I list with thumbtack.com as a remodeling contractor. No charge to list. They notify me with first name and last initial , town or community, and the type of work to be done. Usually small jobs , sometimes too far away and some I just do not perform. Then to contact...

Wake up Contractors. Service Magic changed their name.

They are now Home Advisers!

These Lead Generation Outfits including Thumbtack are a Rip-Off, PERIOD!

You don't know it, but your playing the shell game with them,and don't even know it!

Before you know it, you have given one or more of them,$1,500-$2,000. How many jobs do you have to do,to recoup that $$$$?

If your a Contractor, who believes in doing Quality work,for a reasonable price, work will follow you!

My recommendation is, when you finish a project, "Leave your clients Happy"!

Even if you don't make the profit you wanted. Word of mouth, is powerful!

ID
#319389 Review #319389 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Duluth, Georgia