Thumbtack Reviews

Show reviews that mention
money service job customer business people leads account quote customers
Filter review

I make money

I have been a member of Thumbtack for a couple of years now. I repair computers of all types and networks generally for consumers and small businesses. While I do make more money elsewhere I never lose money with Thumbtack. A few hints for those who tried and did not have a decent experience. I buy the highest amount of credits as they cost less per submitted quote. You have to answer quickly as everyone in the projected area for that customer who is on Thumbtack in there area also received the request, and from a couple of years worth of knowledge here the first 2 quotes maybe 3 are the only ones really considered. I also was at Thumbtack when they implemented the current price model. While I do think it is a bit high for what you receive (such as credits should cost the same but only require 1 credit to send a quote rather than 2) I also do not lose money I make money it is just less than I think it should be. Although I do complain I still make money every month I just think there charges for what I make are higher than they should be for the return.
#1519846

Happy for you. But I would NEVER refer or recommend TT to anyone EVER. Friend or foe.

If any one was making money on thumbtack you would not be on this pissed consumer site!! HELLO Thumbtack is fake and so are these bogus comments.

Atlanta, Georgia
I hate this site! They are killing my business and they base their Google listings and other info on lies!! They make claims that my competitors are the best, "Top 5 teachers in Austin are..." but I know for a fact that the only reason these teachers are listed is...

annnonymous and ripley, paid by thumbtack to post in site. Happy customers don't come looking to pissedconsumber to port.

I write freelance, and saw jobs on Odesk posting to forums like this.

Most of the paid ODeskers that work for them get $1.00 an hour. Just look at the posts, they make little sense.

Austin, Texas

I GOT RIPPED OFF!

I hired a General Contractor through thumbtack and got ripped off--PERIOD! I'm out of $5610 DO NOT HIRE ANYONE FROM THUMBTACK!! Every lie, he can tell, he told!! I'm an Active Duty Vet who lives in another state. I haven't been able to get out to the property. If you're a Vet, stay away. He won't send any receipts, any pictures or proof of the work he has done. ...always "out of town" and he plays games. Once he got his money, he was hard to get a hold of. He just keeps begging for money! They're a lot of people out there like this. I've been very unlucky finding honest people. Once they find out I like on the east coast, the theft begins. BEWARE!

Are you serious? Why would you blame Thumbtack for a certain general contractor's failure?

Have you understood how stuff works in Thumbtack before using their service? Is Thunbtack really to blame for the fault of one opportunistic general contractor?

I respect your opinion, by the way, but I just don't understand dragging someone's name out of a failure done by someone else.

@PissedConsumer816854

Hold on a minute.....Thumbtack does not check for state licenses, insurance etc. Thumbtack is totally to blame 100 percent.

They make it appear that they do just that, but they do not at all period.

They run a deceptive business that attracts the bottom feeders (for the most part) of general contractors. If you are still questioning this companies so called "business model" do a Google search for Thumbtack scam, rip off etc.

@PissedConsumer833869

Thumbtack gives you the option of putting a state license on your page, but doesn't require it. That way the millions of freelance photographers and dj's with no degree or license can put up a profile.

If you pay up front without a contract or receipts...not smart on your part. Thumbtack's only job is to introduce you, nothing more.

I am very sorry. I am one contractor who resides in VA.

I have already confronted Thumbtack about listing illegal companies.

They have admitted such as apparently do not care. I would write to your Attorney General and see if something can be done.

@PissedConsumer808258

I have it in writing from Thumbtack that they do not check state license, insurance, bonding etc. Anyone who claims to be a general contractor can open an account via Thumbtack.

contractors are like doctors or mechanics or anyone of that nature you have to meet them and just because they did a great job for someone else don't mean their suited for you.as a contractor I have turned jobs down just because I didn't like or trust the homeowner and a lot of people will go ahead and take these jobs and half *** them but charge as if their heart is in it. thanks for your time.

Sorry for your loss of money , but not all contractors are rip offs . never send money up front .

and always meet your contractor face too face .

and get references . yours truly Mike mac .

View more comments (6)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Loss

Shut down on valid question

Thumbtack does not exhibit integrity within their leads business. I asked a valid question. "Is the dimension given in feet or inches?"...Valid question, the customer was asking for a mural, I am an artist. Can't provide a price without this info! Thumbtack knocked the question off three times. Their first response was, my question was talking about my business. When I clarified, I am simply asking for customers dimensions, their second response was the question was already asked. The third time they told me I should pay for the quote...I have to question whether it was a real lead at all, since they did everything they could to block me. Their responses take 24 to 72 hours to reply, causing you to miss the lead anyway....wonder how satisfying the experience is for the consumer, if , in this case, the consumer actually existed. I am witnessing massive irregularities in the leads they provide me, going from near nothing, to getting blitzed with the leads that are not at all related----people looking for house painters rather than art services. My listing is "Art Services" of course, I started getting these house painter leads the day after I inquired why I was getting NO leads at all....now, I've inquired as to why this is happening, and haven't received a response yet!!! Thumbtack is nothing but a costly & time consuming nuisance and I speculate the integrity is not there. My customers will find me thru other sources.

Logic 101. Thumbtack allows non licensed, non insured, non bonded contractors compete with those of us that have paid our dues!

They give out information and let 5 contractors quote without even seeing the job in person or contacting the so-called client, before you give them money.

Furthermore, they monitor any questions you might ask the potential client. It's a scam! The Shell Game, Three Card Molly!

Thumbtack is faith based, they sell you something you can't see!

all these lead generation companies, popped up during the recession/depression, taking advantage of the poor financial economy.

I'm sure there is a legit company out there, that takes a piece of your pie after you sell the job, where are they??

Another consideration is that Thumbtack does not tell its consumers that businesses are paying for the leads- and they don't let you tell them either!

Wallingford, Connecticut
Thumbtack Leads
I know they have false leads called one that included a number and the lady was clueless. The rate I was quoting for photography was to good with my experience not to book or at least get an inquiry. I just hate they are taking advantage of free-lancers. I wonder if...

Do you have any competitors? I was spending $100 a day on google pay per click ads and getting no calls.

People say google clicks on your ads. I found out that my old boss who was still mad I left after he denied me a deserved raise for 3 straight years was spending the day clicking on my ads. A friend who still worked there saw him doing it and he said he was just "checking up on us". Problem is my buddy knew what the PPC ads were because his mom owns a business, and told us.

I also got shopped by a competitor that booked a "free inspection" 3 times and blew me off every time. Turns out I outbid him for a job (didn't even know it) and this was retaliation.

Basically, every lead and advert service I ever used has dead ends. False leads aren't necessarily the fault of thumbtack. I get fake names to my websites "quick quote form".

I had a customer book and say they lived in another town and had another name. They claimed to live in a less wealthy town to see if my quote would change. "since I live in this affluent town I get highballed all the time" SOme people like their privacy and are reticent to just send out their info online.

As far as thumbtack, I just signed up.

I got 2 leads, quoted 1, and she called. She has to talk it over with hubby tonight, but I also facebooked her due to an unusual name, and she indeed was who and where she said.

My friend who is a wedding DJ says this is a "scam" He never gets calls back. He also has a very self styled website that is colorful and full of flair. Many people want tradition and off-white.

He is also very expensive. His "10% discount" he thinks that should automatically get him calls, is 4 times what his competitors charge. He is worth it, as he is a real pro. However, thumbtack users are looking for a bargain, and any kid with a laptop or in your case a DSLR, can "claim" to be a professional, despite actually being so.

It is up to the client to sort that out, and unfortunately many times price dictates all. I am lucky to be in a very controlled industry with certain licences.  The supplies are rgulated, and can't be bought at home depot or best buy.  I would feel bad for real general contractors who have to compete on thumbtack.

Louisville, Kentucky

ThumbTack Crazy fee structure

ThumbTack Crazy fee structure
I have been a member (Photographer) on Thumb Tack for a few months. My first lead cost me two credits (not bad) to bid. I didn't get the job and was refunded. The second lead would cost me 4 credits for the same type of gig as the first...what? I didn't get that one either, but was refunded. Now on the third similar lead, it would cost me "7 CREDITS" WTF! I am cancelling my account as soon as I finish this review. Don't waste your time and money with this company. You are better off taking your business elsewhere.

Sounds like you're a *** professional. I've had great success, partially because I actually understand how it works.

I've book 32 shoots in the past 8 months using Thumbtack alone, and the "yelp" type atmosphere and reviews are awesome.

Quit being a baby.

How did you go about getting a refund?

@PissedConsumer946624

If the quote is never viewed within 48 hours, your credits are refunded. If someone should decide to read the quote and book you after the refund, you get a freebie -- at least as of this morning. Things change pretty fast with these folks.

Yeah, come to Mars and take your business here.

Thumbtack claims to be great for local businesses to rebuild after they have moved,, why do they send business that is not local to you then?? SCAM!

@PissedConsumer805219

I think they deserve due process first before you calling them "SCAM".

D'you agree, MC?

#820167
@PissedConsumer816868

I offer housecleaning services and I get leads and am currently helping two families. The costumer support is really fast with answering back.

So far. So good.

View more comments (6)
Rancho Mirage, California
Loss

Bogus leads, they care nothing about the contractors

Thumbtack sucks. People put in a request for a job. They get 3 or more contractors who contact the customer vie email within Thumbtack. 99% of the customers do not provide a phone number nor any other way of contacting them except via Thumbtack. I was with Thumbtack for a long time. I gave them a fair shot. Out of all the customers I responded to, many times being the first contractor to respond, and despite having a 5 star rating, I would say that less than 10% responded to my contact. Even after 3 or 4 times of contacting people, they still didn't respond. Out of the ones who did respond, I'd say maybe - MAYBE I got 1 or 2 jobs, small jobs. Not worth the money. Avoid them. A lot of contractors complain. Customers don't respond. People leave fraudulent feedback from outside of Thumbtack and from within Thumbtack - people who were never hired by a contractor that is. There's a lot of problems with them. You'd be a lot better off advertising locally or finding some other way. There's dozens of lead chaser companies that are better and more dependable with legitimate leads. With Thumbtack, you have no way of knowing if the leads are legitimate. Thumbtack could be posting jobs to get your money, which might explain why most prospects you reply to - even if you're the first contractor to reply and even if you have a 5 star rating, they don't ever reply. Another BIG PROBLEM is that you're at the mercy of the customer. There is NO WAY to contact the customer by phone 99% of the time because they don't provide their phone numbers. That's another reason to believe Thumbtack is providing leads that they post themselves. The bottom line: I think Thumbtack is shady, and I suspect them of being full of crap. They're not worthy of your money. That's my opinion from my own experiences with them for over a year. http://www.maxpowermarketing.com/thumbtack-new-way-to-get-leads/?doing_wp_cron=139438****.848411****214355****50 http://www.visualpeople.com/blog/does-thumbtack-work-for-getting-new-leads http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/507294-might-worth-being-careful-thumbtack-com.html

I used thumbtack for about 6 months.

I believe it is a complete waste of time.

I landed a few jobs off there. People answer my request just quit responding after. I believe it's robots or a scam by thumbtack. People don't even give you the chance to look at Thier job.

I'm doing great by word of mouth and social media. Thumbs down for thumbtack from a licensed contractor.

I have to agree with you. Better off at a casino then gambling with thumbtack!

#1201154

We got a contractor from thumbtack and he was a pathological liar and did the worst work I have ever seen in my life

I told my son who does home improvements about thumbtac. He registered on the site an started getting leads.

He is very pleased with the company and has gotten many jobs. True some are small but he did them .

He has now built a very good business and his client call him back for additional work and recommend him to friends and relatives. Thank God for thumbtac.

I am having the same issue with thumbtack. I am in the house cleaning service so,I

give you one better, I decided to drop my bids down to $50 on all and still no responses.

To top it off out of the few who contacted me through thumbtack had set up an appointment for cleaning but when it was time to provide me with their contact information and place of residence never heard back from them. I believe it to be a scam and lost $300 in the process

I am getting the feeling same as you+ a scam, ripoff , just joined, got 3 leads right away and they wanted $34.95 each to submit a quote and was not even enough info to feel safe with customer, no answer from customer service. I don't mind paying for a lead ( that's fair)and then when work is done give them a percentage ( that's fair too ) but not before client accepts my service and I perform that service for them.

I would have to price myself out of my market to bid because of their cut. I could be walking into a unsafe home and as a professional business woman, I feel too vulnerable without meeting their pets and client.

View more comments (5)
Thumbtack Customer Care
Loss

Paid money for what I assume are fake leads

I had a lot of frustrations and problems in terms of buying access to respond to bids for my work as a tutor for the SAT and ACT. After spending over $150 and getting not a single real job, I tried to contact TT and didn't get any response that seemed to come from a human. I think they get so many complaints that they automate their reponses! I've switched to www.zurved.com, and it works MUCH more transparently. thumbtack takes your money so you can respon to what you hope is a serious buyer, but since there are no restrictions on requesting work, many of them seem vague and I've had multiples from the same name in different zip codes. I spent much money and worse - time communicating talking with people who were not serious. Thumbtack is not for me.
New York, New York
Loss
I've sent out about 2 dozen "quotes", which has cost me around $40, and have not even received a response, from anyone, about anything. I stopped including "prices", thinking people might be disinclined to respond when they see what "pro" work costs (I operate a...

Thank you so much for saving me money, I just joined, got the request for payment to submit a quote without enough info to do the service and said to myself what the heck are you charging me for...and Xed out ...it seems to be just a way to ream the small business owner trying to build a great reputation, back to my referral business and looking for more ways to promote, any more similar service websites that are not crooked ?

The Colony, Texas
Loss

My account is deactivated due to long computer idle time

I can't seem to get ahold of anyone at TT. I left my computer on, ran some errands, all the while I was logged into TT and was in the middle of submitting a quote. I come back (3 hours later) and it asks for me to log back in. So I did. Well, I didn't because I couldn't remember the *** password. So I tried 3 times, and sure enough....THEY LOCKED ME OUT! NO I AM SO *** BECAUSE I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A QUOTE! MY MISTAKE IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR LEAVING IN THE MIDDLE BUT....NEEDLESS TO SAY...THEIR SUPPORT EMAIL SAID IT WOULD BE UP TO 5...YES, I SAID 5 (F-I-V-E) I DON'T HAVE 5 DAYS TO WAIT! I WILL BE GOING TO THEIR HEADQUARTERS ON TUESDAY IF I DON'T GET SOME RESOLUTION. THIS IS ***! TINA
San Francisco, California
Product
Thumbtack Account

Paid Leads went nowhere, Questions Deleted

I really dislike this company. Today I asked a client "are you still looking for someone" and that was deleted. Why do I have to pay thumbtack money to ask that question before I bid. Seems unreasonable. All my paid leads went nowhere and I didn't have any contact info with the client to follow up. There is no budget posted to know if the client is within your price range. I do not recommend this company, I believe they hurt small business by skimming off leads and claiming the top SEO spots. I hope they go out of business.

I have had the same experience. Info is very vague and it really is DITTO to your comment!

Earl

About Face Remodeling L.L.C.

@PissedConsumer792765

Spread the word.... Thumbtack sucks.

I was with Thumbtack for a long time.

Not worth the money. Avoid them.

A lot of contractors complain. Customers don't respond.

That's another reason to believe Thumbtack is providing leads that they post themselves. The bottom line: I think Thumbtack is shady, and I suspect them of being full of ***.

Austin, Texas
Loss

A waste of time for freelancers

after you spend money to bid FOR a quote, you never hear back to see what happened to your bid- Seemingly it goes into a bidding twilight zone and bidders that pay for bids do not know what happened to their money they do find out if it was read or not- thats it it is a good money making system for Thumbtack i submitted email after email and no one ever responded to my 5 emails to customer service there is no phone number LOOK ELSE WHERE, A WASTE OF TIME FOR PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS bidding twilight zone and bidders that pay for bids do not know what happened to their money they do find out if it was read or not- thats it it is a good money making system for Thumbtack i submitted email after email and no one ever responded to my 5 emails to customer service there is no phone number LOOK ELSE WHERE, A WASTE OF TIME FOR PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS

Absolute waste of money. You never know what happens other than your bid was read.

That means nothing.

If they set it up to where after your bid was read, the client had to approve or reject the bid would help out a lot more. Not spending another dime on Thumbtack.

Had a similar experience myself as a photographer. Better is when you try to screen bids using the public questions.

The moderators usually delete the questions with some bogus explanation. Not worth my money.

ID
#472085 Review #472085 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Los Angeles, California
Thumbtack Bidding

Ripped of in Daytona Brach , Fl

Hired landscaper through Thumbtack. Seemed professional. Name: Lino Salmalinos ,, promised work date, cancelled, said plants didn't arrive, wasn't happy with work. Promised to fix, broke sprinkler pipes. Took several calls and promised to fix. Then broke again. Wouldn't answer answer phone. Beware,, Palm Coast, Daytona, Port Orange, Fl. Bad enough, I got ripped. Now you want 100 words to talk about it. It doesn't take that many to explain being ripped off by a company that advertised a business that wasn't checked into. Every time I called, I was lied to( salmalinos),, with oh I forgot. Oh, the truck had problems.

Did you get a contract and a receipt? If not, welcome to adulthood. If so, learn how to use them, they're there for your protection.

Orlando, Florida

NO CALLS MONEY WASTED!!!

I am in the entertainment business. So I decided to give thumbtack a try. So this is what I have come up with. I feel when you pay for a LEAD you actually need to get something for your money. The most important would be a phone # and e-mail. Which is never given!!!! In my field performers charge a variety of fees. I have a certain fee I am willing to go out for. There is never a budget that the client is willing to spend. (This would save everyone alot of time and money) I have spent a good amount of money and have never recieved a call. Not even an inquiry to discuss there event. I know how to fix the problem but thumbtack doesn't want to do anything about it. Its a waste of time. If they keep up these practices they will be out of business. The way they make money is from performers not the clients. I went to the other side to see what the client fills out. That's where the problem is. A lead is not a lead with out a phone #. Which should be mandatory!! What's funny is there is no place on the lead sheet to enclose a phone # or e-mail. I am currently with other companies that are real Professionals thumbtack is not. I have tried to explain to the staff. But they are not interested in doing anything. This company could make millions and is an easy fix. Its very frustrating. They've made it clear to me that no changes are being made!!!! So becasue of that I have ended my relationship with the company. If anyone has had a better experience with them I would like to here it.
New York, New York
Update by user May 17, 2014

I don't understand what it is you are all doing wrong or if it's because you really never give it your all because you weren't sure about the Thumbtack.com service to begin with and all ready had your mind made up that it wasn't good and have spent all of your time...

You're gonna get 1099'd son. And one day the irs is gonna look at ya and wonder how you make 15k in 6 months without a licence.

You should get a license. Your in arizona, son you could probably find a license in a Cracker Jack box or maybe at a garage sale.

Phoenix, Arizona